Cinco-de-Mayo Hatch-A-Long celebration!

Had two more hatch, another OEGB and a blue Cochin. Unsure about the remaining eggs.

20230505_093251.jpg

The first seven peeps, last two are still in the incubator.

Here are my cinco eggs. 98 regular sized plus 8 serama eggs.

64CB1C25-F801-47C0-A9F1-0FF14B010B9B.jpeg

6CFE4186-67F0-43C6-A2E5-7E26F957A5CD.jpeg

I don’t expect a really high percentage in these… my seramas just have terrible hatch rate. I suspect there is something genetic in the line because it’s the same weather I have hatched from mine or the ones my mom keeps. Also the same hatched under serama broodies. Lots of early quitters. I’d guess 30-50 percent actually develop to hatch.

I also have 7 eggs from my lavender ameraucana. I collected those over like 2 weeks so some are pretty old. She’s in a pen atm with my cemani roo so that should be a fun cross!

There are a bunch of black Minorca eggs and those could be pure Minorca if mixed with lav ameraucana roo.

Apart from that I tried to grab eggs from bresse and naked necks. It’ll be a grab bag.

I have someone whose buying the last of my march chicks that I’m willing to part with. It gets a lot harder for me to sell them after I’ve had them a few weeks. They asked me for a discount and I was like nope 😂 usually I’m quick to give deals but it’s hard enough to let them go for what I’m asking when aren’t they really worth like a million dollars each???
image.jpg
image.jpg

I candled the eggs tonight! Pulled out the obvious clears, and am happy with things so far! I have 7 mottled d’Anvers developing, 14 self-blue or black d’Anvers, 6 wheaten bantam Ameraucanas, 8 blue bantam Ams, 8 self-blue d’Anver over black Watermaals, 2 gold laced satins,1 bbs bantam Cochin, and 45 quail eggs still cooking! I’m selling the d’Anvers, cochin, and quail at a Poultry Expo on May 6, so I’m glad so many are developing!

Finally got around to candling for the first time on this batch. It's Day 8. Out of 42 eggs set, I have 39 very lively embryos!!! I pulled 2 clears, and one which had a hairline crack. It had started to develop, looks like it died maybe 2 days ago. It had a very black, pea-sized spot near the small end that didn't move at all, like stuck to the inside of the shell. I'm guessing that was bacteria or fungus setting in. I'm sorry I didn't get a photo to show you guys, but I had lobbed it over the fence before I thought about it! But anyway, I had set three extras (stacked), so after disposing of those three, I'm at full capacity with 39 good eggs. Very happy! :yesss:

Good morning! I hope everyone's eggs are doing wonderfully!!!

My two are still going strong. I did candle last night again...I can't help it. I won't be looking at the eggs again till end of this wk...(I hope)

How often do yall candle??
Being as this is my first hatch...I think I wanna do it more than I need to 😆
I candle day 4/5 to check for clears, day 7 to draw air cells/weigh, day 10 to weigh, day 14 to draw air cells/weigh, and day 17/18 to draw air cells/weigh & place eggs with large slanted side of air cell facing up.

From my viewpoint, the only purpose of candling is to remove dead eggs that could potentially leak bacteria and/or explode. Therefore, I think no more often than every 5-7 days would be needed. LESS is better
Trying to stick with this mentality

But

still just as awesome!

It is pretty awesome!!!
Also, handling eggs exposes them to whatever germs, oils and other contaminants you might have on your hands or the candler. It also greatly increases the chances of damage or death from mishandling. I think most of us here have accidentally dropped an egg during candling.
I do wash my hands prior to handling, and I may have already dropped and egg...(it was a dud thank God) but yeah...totally see your point!

but I might not even remove them from the tray -
Never thought abt not moving them..🤔🤔🤔

But I do not like to mess with the humidity much and lifting the lid causes such a change...then waiting for it to get back where it needs to be...eyeballing it constantly

I do agree better to just let then be...

But...but...but...

It's just so cool...

I don't plan on candling again till day thursday....we will see if I can hold out...

Thanks for all the info

Back
Top Bottom