Living life on the edge (of the incubator) hatch-a-long

Pics

2ndTink

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Aug 23, 2020
I know, I know... I said I wouldn't do any more risky hatches, but here I am, doing it again. What's life unless you take some risks? We are D-4 days until setting eggs, so consider this the tailgating / pregame hype up to the main event!
I will begin listing what eggs I know I will be setting and will finish out the list Friday when I pick up the local hatching eggs and fill in any remaining incubator spaces with eggs from my flock.

Name theme request: hopeful / courageous, / strong / fun / uplifting, about half of these eggs will be shipped or pullet eggs from my flock. Yes, I know hatching pullet eggs isn't ideal, it was not my plan, but life has thrown some forks in my dream road, and here we are attempting to hatch pullet eggs, laid during the coldest weather of the year, trying to keep pieces of my flock and dreams alive. The other half will be some AMAZING purebred eggs from a wonderful local breeder along with some test hatch eggs that will be a satin chocolate paint silkie Chonkers x layer hens (trying to pinpoint why he is a chocolate paint but has black spots and not chocolate) and our EE rooster Fizz Bang x our oldest Black australorp hens who are still great and consistent layers.

Edited! I have decided to group the 12 eggs laid by my pullets last week in the brutal cold together, we will give them a group name and please cheer for the group. Any that develop will be moved from group status to individual where they can be specially named and given direct cheers!

Disregard: Hatch-a-long friends, I have 2 ideas, please let me know the preferred route! As there a quite a few eggs with a high risk of not developing, I can either pair them with a less risky egg, so you name the pair, if one doesn't start or quits you still have one to cheer, if both start... we'll cross that bridge when we get there! The second idea is to hold back the eggs I think are the most risky, if they are developing at 7 days I'll add them to the list for naming. Let me know!

@TwoCrows @Debbie292d @ElfenLied89 @BigBlueHen53 @GreenJay @QueenofKings @Antiocheggers @CoopBoots @GirlsHuntToo @LTAY1946 @fluffycrow @Tookie @tlcmurphy @Chive @21hens-incharge @Obsessed With Silkies @NagemTX @Shabby Chic-Hens

Please tag others as I'm sure I'm missing many amazing hatch-a-long cheerers who are not risk adverse!

Last edited:
As I'm trying to learn more about genetics for the silkies, I'm listing the color and genotype, if I am wrong PLEASE let me know!

Purebred silkies:
Mixed pen of colors, Chocolate pullet, a partridge, and a splash with no splashes; cockerels are various blue, black, diluted partridge, silkie, satin, and frizzle (it was not supposed to be like this, but here we are...)
1 dozen where laid in very cold weather, we will find a group name for them and please everyone cheer for these eggies! If they start developing I will add them individually to the list below to be named and specially cheered 🥰

Chocolate pullet (choc-)
1 Duchess @Obsessed With Silkies Good!
2 Good!
3 Good!
4 Good!
5 Good!

Partridge or "splash" eggs
1 Apex @CoopBoots Good!!
2 Layla @Debbie292d Good!
3 Good!
4 Good!
5 no development

Blue / splash Blbl / blbl (shipped)
1 Larry @Debbie292d Good!
2 No Development
3 No Development

Black BlBl (shipped)
1 Valentina @Galaxy_rules Good!
2 Good! Seargent Pepper @BantyChooks
3 Good! Egbert

Paint E/E, Ml/Ml, I/i+ (shipped)
1 Ross Good!
2 ND
3 ND
4 ND
5 ND

Chocolate choc choc, choc- for females (shipped)
1 Grace @TwoCrows Good!
2 Mocha @Sc_chickengirl ND
3 Taza Good!

Large Fowl:
Light Brahma (shipped)
1 HVIT @Antiocheggers ND
2 Princess @TheDawg ND

Swedish Flower Hen (pick up)
1 Lacey @Obsessed With Silkies Good!
2 Hope @GirlsHuntToo ND
3 ND
4 ND
5 ND
6 ND
7 ND

8 Good! Sal/Sallie @Nero70002
9 Good! Pep/Peppa/Pippa @Nero70002

10 ND

Ermine Ameraucana (pick up)
1 Zen @TwoCrows
2 Xena/Zeus @GreenJay
3 Andy @BantyChooks
4 River @BantyChooks

Chonkers Test
1 Godzilla Kong. Quit @ElfenLied89 Good!
2 ND
3 Mothra. Quit @QueenofKings Good!
4 shell too dark
5 Good! Zip the Zippy Chick @pipdzipdnreadytogo
6 No development
7 Good! Quit
8 Good! Titan Quit @TwoCrows
9 Good! Quit
10 Green Bean @lkb1230 shell too dark

EExBA/BR
1 Charlotte/ Charlie Quit @GreenJay Good!
2 Steve @TheDawg Good!
3 Good! Quit

4 ND

Bantam:
Golden Necked D'uccle (pick up)
1 Elpida @fluffycrow ND
2 Cherry @Nero70002 ND
3 Pizza @lkb1230 ND
4 ND

Lavender Ameraucana (pick up)
1 Zenith @CoopBoots Good!
2 Blueberry @Nero70002 Good!
3 Wisteria @Chive Good!
4 ND
5 Quit
6 ND

"Random Bantams"
1 ND
3 Pippa / Pippy @Oob Child ND
7 Umber

Update:
Blue highlighted Eggs look good, gold are no decelopment and the questionable ones are left in black.

Last edited:
As I'm trying to learn more about genetics, I'm listing the color and genotype, if I am wrong PLEASE let me know!

Purebred silkies:
Blue / splash (Blbl / blbl)

Black (BlBl)

Paint E/E, Ml/Ml, I/i+

Chocolate (choc choc, choc- for females)

Mixed pen of colors, Chocolate pullet, a partridge, and a splash with no splashes; cockerels are various blue, black, diluted partridge, silkie, satin, and frizzle (it was not supposed to be like this, but here we are...)
Chocolate pullet (choc-)

Partridge or "splash" eggs

Large Fowl:
Light Brahma

Swedish Flower Hen

Ermine Ameraucana

Bantam:
Golden Necked D'uccle

Lavender Ameraucana

I'll be adding the # of eggs over the next few days!
That's a whole lot of Greek to me 😂😂😂

I  demand request a Chonker DNA egg. Lol. Maybe name the baby Godzilla?!
Done, oh, heck, I didn't get his Godzilla egg on the list, I now have TWO! They are massive!
20240122_201740.jpg

Back
Top Bottom