Cinnamon Rolls??

Not true IMHO.

Fruits and veggies are often high in water content and low in nutrients. People give lettuce thinking their birds are getting greens in their diet. Wrong, look at the nutritional content, it isn't much. And very often people don't realize that chickens LIKE meat! Anything that you give in excess can diminish their overall health EVEN if it goes unnoticed.

Next time, I suggest freezing the cinnamon rolls for your own family before they become stale. According to experts, freezing and not refrigerating will give you the best end result when it comes to bread products. You can even do single serving size packs. Or pack them up and send 'em here! :drool

Right. I knew about the lettuce thing... When I used to sell chicken eggs, I advertised vegetarian fed hens.. SO meat wasn't an option. Anyways, thanks for that info!

While not good as a regular diet part, it's not going to kill them once. I am not going to waste food when it could go to the birds.
This is something I really struggle with.

I'm a firm believer in waste not want not.

But I have too much awareness of nutrition needs and so can't bring myself to feeding many thing out to my dogs or chickens despite knowing some who have "always" fed everything to their animals. Guess I figure it isn't saving me anything if I spend more on vet bills or have early losses.

I used to buy into "if you get the bigger size it's more value for your $". But now I know that just because it less cost per ounce doesn't mean it's saving me if I'm too fat for my jeans or have to take extra meds, blah blah.. What many don't realize is that when nutritionist talk about reduced egg production, they don't mean an obvious 50%. It can be as low as 10%. If you get 10 eggs a day you might not notice that now you are only getting 9, or chalk it up to daylight or whatever. Maybe for us back yarders 10% is nothing. But the factories know!

I really struggle with throwing thing out. But I do it. :hmm

This is something I really struggle with.

I'm a firm believer in waste not want not.

But I have too much awareness of nutrition needs and so can't bring myself to feeding many thing out to my dogs or chickens despite knowing some who have "always" fed everything to their animals. Guess I figure it isn't saving me anything if I spend more on vet bills or have early losses.

I used to buy into "if you get the bigger size it's more value for your $". But now I know that just because it less cost per ounce doesn't mean it's saving me if I'm too fat for my jeans or have to take extra meds, blah blah.. What many don't realize is that when nutritionist talk about reduced egg production, they don't mean an obvious 50%. It can be as low as 10%. If you get 10 eggs a day you might not notice that now you are only getting 9, or chalk it up to daylight or whatever. Maybe for us back yarders 10% is nothing. But the factories know!

I really struggle with throwing thing out. But I do it. :hmm

Ya... Maybe try composting what you can..

Maybe for us back yarders 10% is nothing.
That is true. If I only get 9 eggs instead of 10 with the benefit of reduced feed costs... I don't care.

IF I was seeing abnormalities on, say, butchering or whatnot, or having birds die slash quit laying early... then I would care.

I used to buy into "if you get the bigger size it's more value for your $". But now I know that just because it less cost per ounce doesn't mean it's saving me if I'm too fat for my jeans or have to take extra meds, blah blah..

:goodpost:

Right. I knew about the lettuce thing... When I used to sell chicken eggs, I advertised vegetarian fed hens.. SO meat wasn't an option. Anyways, thanks for that info!
Well, when I see someone advertise veg fed hens, what it says to me is that they've never seen the light of day or touched the ground. Because they WILL eat bugs. Chicken are NOT vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination.

But I do get that a vegetarian feed simply means it doesn't have animal products in it. However, the amino acids found in the protein of the animal products is absolutely necessary to the birds. Therefor, they add in the amino acids to formulated rations. Worried about fishy flavors or whatever, I haven't used any feed with animals products in them for my birds, though the dogs obviously do. But this is a learning process and sometimes things change. Guess for me I wouldn't advertise vegetarian fed. I'm more like pasture raised, free range, with nutritious feed with safe shelter always available.:)

Words that mean not much to me are "grain fed" and "all natural".

Ya... Maybe try composting what you can..
Yes, I've been a major composter for years. Love the idea! :thumbsup

Even got a red wiggler bin to feed the worms out on occasion. They were a hit when I lived in the desert. Now the girls have access to them for a large potion of the year and sometimes ignore what I try to give them.

Yes, I've been a major composter for years. Love the idea! :thumbsup

Even got a red wiggler bin to feed the worms out on occasion. They were a hit when I lived in the desert. Now the girls have access to them for a large potion of the year and sometimes ignore what I try to give them.

I used to have to two plastic composter bins, because I decided to give it a try. After about a month, my chicken stopped laying, at least in her nest box. But I could not find her eggs any where. I had not really checked my composters for a long time, because i forgot about them (OOPS) :). So I went to check on them, and on one the lid had gotten knocked off. And my chicken was in it on a nest of like 20 to 32 eggs. After I took the eggs out she was really sad, and kept on pacing by the composter. So I cleaned it out and put shavings in it shes been laying her eggs there ever since. I never really felt the need to start more composting I guess. :p

Well, when I see someone advertise veg fed hens, what it says to me is that they've never seen the light of day or touched the ground. Because they WILL eat bugs. Chicken are NOT vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination.

But I do get that a vegetarian feed simply means it doesn't have animal products in it. However, the amino acids found in the protein of the animal products is absolutely necessary to the birds. Therefor, they add in the amino acids to formulated rations. Worried about fishy flavors or whatever, I haven't used any feed with animals products in them for my birds, though the dogs obviously do. But this is a learning process and sometimes things change. Guess for me I wouldn't advertise vegetarian fed. I'm more like pasture raised, free range, with nutritious feed with safe shelter always available.:)

Words that mean not much to me are "grain fed" and "all natural".

Ya I totally get it and I guess they weren't really vegetarian. They did LOVE bugs! I did advertise pasture raised though, so I guess it was a bit inaccurate to say they were veg. fed. I'll look into feeding meat. I guess it just seems a bit cannibalistic:lol:... But...if you say there are good things about it....

Mine do get veggie bits, dinner leftovers if suitable, fruits can't keep them out of fruit too many trees and vines. I don't give them sugary stuff if i can help it i don't want to deal with the sour crop again once was plenty! They have pilfered sugar and the neighbors boy is convinced chickens like candy so I'm aware i can't win some battles.:)

Back
Top Bottom