City Council srtikes again!

Well. To play devil's advocate a little, I can see where that would be a concern. Imagine a nicely maintained golf course type community with manicured lawns and landscaping with a flock of chickens in the front yard in a not-so-attractive coop. It would reduce property values. I'd say close to everyone on this site LIKES the look of a nice coop in a backyard. Not everyone would. A lot of that is due to misunderstandings and misconceptions about what it is like to live near chickens, but this is where these city councils are coming from. Now of course I think it should be legal everywhere, and yes my drug dealing neighbors bring down property values a lot more than my chickens ever could, but I don't think the argument that chickens in certain places could bring down property values is without merit.

Also, just because some wealthy people have chickens doesn't mean having chickens increases your wealth. That's poor reasoning and poor argument.

Listing the wealth people who own back yard flocks was in response to the reasoning that only poor people own chickens. It's poverty = chickens = lower class =reduced property values. I wish the magic of chickens made you more wealthy with out any work to it. Chicken math would have a whole new meaning!

Quote:
Agreed. It is not the presence or ansence of chickens that affects property values; it is poorly maintained house, yard, out-buildings, etc. vs well-maintained. I remember visiting my college roommate's home and going to see one of her sister's friends. Obviously very well off, house was pretty much a mansion--plantation style home. The doghouse was IDENTICAL to the house in design, just much smaller scale. The duckhouse was also identical, but significantly larger than the doghouse, and on a small island in the middle of a small pond. All very, very attractive. This setup is likely to raise property value. On the other hand, a poorly maintained house and yard, with or wthout coops would likely lower the value.

Quote:
Nope. "Chickens and Property Values Local Realtors say that the presence of an attractive, well‐maintained backyard
chicken coop is no more likely to affect values for neighboring properties than the
presence of an attractive, well‐maintained backyard rabbit hutch. (Appendix E.)

In addition, some prospective home owners may be attracted to a community with a
progressive stance on green issues such as chicken keeping. It’s impossible to know
which stance is more likely to attract rather than repel the greater number of
prospective home buyers – the one that encourages conformity, or the one that
encourages sustainability.
In fact, the areas with the fewest restrictions on the keeping of chickens tended to have thehighest property values. (Appendix F.)" http://www.scribd.com/doc/16509728/Changing-Your-Citys-Chicken-Laws (quote from page 10)

Oh, and I'm PRETTY SURE Oprah's property value did not budge by virtue of her neighbor's backyard chickens! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1390192/Oprah-Winfreys-neighbour-The-chicken-lady-chats-fence-worlds-famous-chatshow-host.html

If
you're interestd in advertising your position around town, feel free to check out my new t-shirt design in my web-store: http://www.CustomEggCartonLabels.com (under "Other Merchandise) Here's a little preview of them:
43104_outlaw_image_alone-brown.jpg

43104_outlaw_tshirt_brown.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom