City Council srtikes again!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Mhile, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Mhile

Mhile New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    Here's one to ponder. The Verona, WI City Council states one of the reasons to ban BYC is due to the fact that they lower property values in the neighborhoods that contain them. Any truth to that???

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    What do you think?

That argument is brought up quite often. "We don't want our neighborhood looking like a third world country".

Don't you know only po' folk keep chickens?

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Well people still pay an arm and a leg to live in NYC and you can keep chickens there.

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    As you get closer to the rural areas (a big part of Wisconsin), the worse it gets. Everybody in the cities and villages thinks they know something about chickens because somebody they know (a friend of a friend, their great -uncle, second cousin, etc.) used to keep chickens on the farm and they are stinky, filthy animals. The mantra always seems to be "If you want chickens move out to the country", which in most municipalities in Wisconsin is only a mile or two down the road...

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    As a former long-time Madison resident, I wonder if the true reason is that the council doesn't want to be too much like the city of Madison. There was a lot of that sentiment back in the late 90's, not sure what it is like now.

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Martha Stewart and Sarah Jessica Parker are two individuals who keep chickens. Neither of them lives in what one could call slums. Martha lives about a mile from the estate of the Clintons, and the Parker-Brodericks live in one of Manhattan's most exclusive neighborhoods.

I wish I could afford to "slum it" like that!

7. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I doubt it. In my city, the majority of chickens seem to be located in the most desirable parts of town. The neighborhoods with the lowest property values don't have many, if any, back yard flocks. Although admittedly, I live in a very "crunchy" city so it may be different in other towns/cities.

8. littlegorb

littlegorb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Republic of Bayard
    Quote:add Tori Spelling, Paula Deen, and Reese Witherspoon to the hood as well.

9. HenPenny

HenPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Lewisville tx
    Quote:I would ask them to prove it lowers property values. Show you the numbers. There is some documentation In (Dallas Texas anyway that the "cute " chicken houses are a selling point. Like a hobby, poolhouse, or greenhouse.

10. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    I thought having chickens meant you were a little more upper class. I mean "a chicken for every pot" right. Seriously I think it is the meth heads where I live that brings property values down. How come we don't have an ordinance stating how many are allowed per square mile?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by