City Council srtikes again!

Mhile

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Here's one to ponder. The Verona, WI City Council states one of the reasons to ban BYC is due to the fact that they lower property values in the neighborhoods that contain them. Any truth to that???

What do you think?

That argument is brought up quite often. "We don't want our neighborhood looking like a third world country".

Don't you know only po' folk keep chickens?

As you get closer to the rural areas (a big part of Wisconsin), the worse it gets. Everybody in the cities and villages thinks they know something about chickens because somebody they know (a friend of a friend, their great -uncle, second cousin, etc.) used to keep chickens on the farm and they are stinky, filthy animals. The mantra always seems to be "If you want chickens move out to the country", which in most municipalities in Wisconsin is only a mile or two down the road...

As a former long-time Madison resident, I wonder if the true reason is that the council doesn't want to be too much like the city of Madison. There was a lot of that sentiment back in the late 90's, not sure what it is like now.

Martha Stewart and Sarah Jessica Parker are two individuals who keep chickens. Neither of them lives in what one could call slums. Martha lives about a mile from the estate of the Clintons, and the Parker-Brodericks live in one of Manhattan's most exclusive neighborhoods.

I wish I could afford to "slum it" like that!

I doubt it. In my city, the majority of chickens seem to be located in the most desirable parts of town. The neighborhoods with the lowest property values don't have many, if any, back yard flocks. Although admittedly, I live in a very "crunchy" city so it may be different in other towns/cities.

Quote:
I would ask them to prove it lowers property values. Show you the numbers. There is some documentation In (Dallas Texas anyway that the "cute " chicken houses are a selling point. Like a hobby, poolhouse, or greenhouse.

I thought having chickens meant you were a little more upper class. I mean "a chicken for every pot" right. Seriously I think it is the meth heads where I live that brings property values down. How come we don't have an ordinance stating how many are allowed per square mile?

Back
Top Bottom