city girl has a well water question!

Quote:
Do you have orange or black staining around fixtures or in the toilet tanks?

The orange is generally iron reducing bacteria that generate an orange biofilm. Black smut is caused by sulfur reducing bacteria. The sulfur reducing bacteria can smell smell a bit like sewage at low levels. These bacteria are not harmful to you, but cause aesthetic problems such as staining and bio-fouling of fixtures as well as causing odors.

When we bought this place three years ago the water was horrible. The day we moved in I drew some water from the tap to make a pot of coffee and the sulfur smell almost knocked me over. I shocked the well with chlorine 3 or 4 times over the next year to clean it up. The smell would start to come back after 3 or 4 months and it took multiple treatments. Now I only do it every year or so.

We have a shallow 4" well and I usually only add a couple quarts of bleach to the well. Too much bleach is ineffective because it raises the alkalinity of the water to point that bleach does not work as a disinfectant.

After adding the bleach, I run an outside hose back into the well and let the water recirculate for a few hours, I turn off the water heater, drain it, and then let it fill with chlorinated water from the well. I run every tap on the premises until I smell chlorine. It is then left to set as long possible, preferably overnight. In the morning, I run a hose into the ditch and pump down the well until the chlorine is gone. I then run all of the taps and the washing machine to clear the chlorine from the lines, drain the water heater and let it refill with fresh water. Only a small amount amount of chlorinated water goes out to the septic field.

If you can't do these things yourself it would be best to call a licensed well maintainer and let them treat the system for you.

We do have the orange from the iron, but not badly. I know its not iron smell, and pretty sure it isnt sulfur either.
In the rental house I had a few yrs ago that the well went bad, there was black SLUDGE coming out of the faucets and it stunk so bad you couldnt run it at all. I lived for six months on water I would go get from friends in jugs and shower at their homes. Ended up having to move bc the landlord couldnt pay the $5000 to get a new well.

Quote:
Do you have orange or black staining around fixtures or in the toilet tanks?

The orange is generally iron reducing bacteria that generate an orange biofilm. Black smut is caused by sulfur reducing bacteria. The sulfur reducing bacteria can smell smell a bit like sewage at low levels. These bacteria are not harmful to you, but cause aesthetic problems such as staining and bio-fouling of fixtures as well as causing odors.

When we bought this place three years ago the water was horrible. The day we moved in I drew some water from the tap to make a pot of coffee and the sulfur smell almost knocked me over. I shocked the well with chlorine 3 or 4 times over the next year to clean it up. The smell would start to come back after 3 or 4 months and it took multiple treatments. Now I only do it every year or so.

We have a shallow 4" well and I usually only add a couple quarts of bleach to the well. Too much bleach is ineffective because it raises the alkalinity of the water to point that bleach does not work as a disinfectant.

After adding the bleach, I run an outside hose back into the well and let the water recirculate for a few hours, I turn off the water heater, drain it, and then let it fill with chlorinated water from the well. I run every tap on the premises until I smell chlorine. It is then left to set as long possible, preferably overnight. In the morning, I run a hose into the ditch and pump down the well until the chlorine is gone. I then run all of the taps and the washing machine to clear the chlorine from the lines, drain the water heater and let it refill with fresh water. Only a small amount amount of chlorinated water goes out to the septic field.

If you can't do these things yourself it would be best to call a licensed well maintainer and let them treat the system for you.

That is what EXACTLY my gramps had in his house. Glad my uncle took care of the water treatments after Gramps died, left the house to him. Hasn't had much problem since then.

Quote:
Yeah, this place was horrible, the previous owner just let it go and put up with it because he didn't know what to do. If you took a shower it stunk up the whole house. His wife constantly burned candles and had air fresheners all over the house. I think the water issue was one of the reasons she wanted to sell the place, but it was nothing that couldn't be taken care of with the appropriate maintenance.

Our water softener removes enough iron to take care of the orange. As soon as it runs out of salt the orange starts coming back. That's my cue to go buy more salt.

The black smut I spoke of with the sulfur bacteria isn't as noticeable until you start working on the plumbing. I saw this when removing aerators on the sinks, changing water filters, or draining the water heater. It is almost like a charcoal soot that coats the inside of the plumbing. Magnesium from the water heater anode provides energy for the bacteria so it tends to make to make the hot water smell. I removed our water heater anode before chlorinating the system. It will shorten the life of our water heater tank some, but I prefer water that doesn't stink.

Our water had a sulphur smell. Had it tested and they said we needed an iron filter. Got the filter and the water now tastes and smells good.

Quote:
X2.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Yeah, this place was horrible, the previous owner just let it go and put up with it because he didn't know what to do. If you took a shower it stunk up the whole house. His wife constantly burned candles and had air fresheners all over the house. I think the water issue was one of the reasons she wanted to sell the place, but it was nothing that couldn't be taken care of with the appropriate maintenance.

Our water softener removes enough iron to take care of the orange. As soon as it runs out of salt the orange starts coming back. That's my cue to go buy more salt.

The black smut I spoke of with the sulfur bacteria isn't as noticeable until you start working on the plumbing. I saw this when removing aerators on the sinks, changing water filters, or draining the water heater. It is almost like a charcoal soot that coats the inside of the plumbing. Magnesium from the water heater anode provides energy for the bacteria so it tends to make to make the hot water smell. I removed our water heater anode before chlorinating the system. It will shorten the life of our water heater tank some, but I prefer water that doesn't stink.

I remember Uncle had to replace all the plumbing and man, the build up it had! Most of the pipes were steel and copper and he did have to replace the water heater as well. It was almost black sludge inside that water heater.

When I lived in Michigan, we had friends in the country that had that awful tasting well water that smelled like rotten eggs and tasted really bad. I was told that it was sulfur and minerals that did that. It's perfectly harmless for drinking, some people say that it's good for you and good for bathing and washing your clothes in. But, seriously, I would never force that on anyone the way it was forced on me.

I hear it has to do with the area you live in and where the well is dug.

Back
Top Bottom