City Hall wont tell me...

NewHopePoultry

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Troy,Missouri
I live in a rural town in Lincoln County Missouri.
Ive asked city hall if I can have chickens or not and they wont give me an answer.
I currently have 3 hens. Ive only had them for about a week and so far no one has said anything about them.

You have done your part by asking. Let it drop.

The ball WAS in their court. They didn't respond. Let it go.
wink.png

Have a nice time with your chickens !!!
smile.png

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

P.S. Where I was raised, you don't stir a "dry" cow-pie just to see if it will "stink".
frow.gif

Sometimes, you can check online or visit your city hall and look at zoning/livestock ordinances on your own just to make sure. Also, sometimes it takes asking the right person at the right time to get an answer. Just because they don't respond doesn't mean that you're in the right or that it's OK. The city is always in the right even if they are in the wrong or drop the ball.

However, since the worst that could happen is that they tell you to get rid of them (or fine you if you don't) I wouldn't worry about it too much if you decide to keep them. If your neighbors have them, you have a large lot, or if you are zoned rural/agricultural, you're probably OK anyway.

Quote:
They probably won't tell you cuz they don't know. You could check the county or town web page if they have one. Somewhere you should be able to find a zoning map. For instance, I'm zoned Agricultural Restricted. Which means I can only sell what I grow. A zoning map may be on their web site or posted in the town hall and you can look at that for free. Not all areas of the county will be zoned the same thing.

If you purchased your house check your paperwork or tax papers. You might find your zoning there.

Or you could get a rooster and your sure to find out after awhile.

Hope you keep your chickens and all goes well.

Rancher

I asked 3 different people who work at City Hall.
The website for my town doesnt give any info either.
But I'll keep checking around on the internet and see if I can find anything.

Thanks for the links.

Typically it is listed in the zoning laws. Where I live, the zoning laws are posted online in a PDF format. There is an Agriculture section that lists fowl/livestock laws. Either google "Zoning Laws Your Town" or look up zoning laws on your town's website if they have one.

Ofcourse with only hens, neighbors mey not notice / care.
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom