City Issued a Citation and claims we aren’t allowed to have chickens due to neighbor’s complaint. What are my options?

Pics
Oh I understand more than you think and I'm glad you're good and safe for now. But be warned it's only a matter of time before they shut you down. And that's my whole point I want to see more farms like us. Small the way it used to be. The local butcher shop alive and well. Believe me if you were able to get a fresh eggs at a cheap price before you you got your hens would you have. Other then the fun of being around chickens you have more cost involved then we do. Just to get an egg or two as a bonus.
I used to buy eggs from local chicken owners like myself, that’s what lead me to owning my own. For sure it’s expensive, no doubt eggs from farms like yours are cheaper and just as good! I’m not saying that, some of us are raising chickens/ducks/quail/etc for the joy of raising them. The eggs are just an added benefit. Many metro areas allow us to raise them, where I am I can have up to 6 for my property (but won’t).
None of us are trying to put small farms out of business, certainly not me, why are you bent on shutting us down?

I used to buy eggs from local chicken owners like myself, that’s what lead me to owning my own. For sure it’s expensive, no doubt eggs from farms like yours are cheaper and just as good! I’m not saying that, some of us are raising chickens/ducks/quail/etc for the joy of raising them. The eggs are just an added benefit. Many metro areas allow us to raise them, where I am I can have up to 6 for my property (but won’t).
None of us are trying to put small farms out of business, certainly not me, why are you bent on shutting us down?
You don't understand who is really trying to shut you down. It's not me it's the very large commercial chicken farms that are lobbing to shut you down and they want me gone too.

You don't understand who is really trying to shut you down. It's not me it's the very large commercial chicken farms that are lobbing to shut you down and they want me gone too.
I live in GA, poultry central. I’ll worry about them when the time comes. I doubt they care about my 3 hens, or the OP’s hens, or yours.

I want to make myself perfectly clear. I am not against the backyarders. Believe it or not we used to be backyarders. And have dealt with being shut down with us not having any faults just people enforcing rules that didn't used to be. Now I'll show my age. Like the Beverly hillbillies we packed up the truck and moved to the country to save our birds. Within the first two weeks we battled a major wildfire just to save our birds. Now in this case and in many others most don't know the rules of what they are allowed or if neighbors complain they don't handle the situation fast enough. I'm against those backyarders.

I live in GA, poultry central. I’ll worry about them when the time comes. I doubt they care about my 3 hens, or the OP’s hens, or yours.

Remember when people's chickens stopped laying. Do you know who made the feed. Better yet do you know who owned the feed manufacturers. Cal Maine foods the largest egg producer in the country. And you think they don't care.

I am sorry you've got through this, and your neighbours too. It's not fun to have those bad feelings from all parties in the neighbourhood. Since you are starting over, take the opportunity to change things for the good:

1 - rid the property of rats, please hire an exterminator. It's not expensive if you realize that the problem will actually end and they'll check that things are safe and nothing but the intended animal is being harmed.
2. - try and make amends with the neighbour and have a good talk about what their concerns were. maybe you'll learn something from them and hey, maybe they'll help you in future, since they did once have chickens.
3- I think you should get organized with others in your area to change the bylaws to be able to have up to 6 hens. write to councillors, mayors, reps, etc. our area was able to change bylaws 5 years ago to allow folks to have 6 hens for eggs in the name of food security and the agricultural history of the area. You live on an acre, that's pretty big. I'm in a small town and can have up to 6 on any urban property, no reason an acre shouldn't allow that. Happy to help you if you need, DM me.

I hope you can have chickens again soon :fl

Back
Top Bottom