Classroom Incubator

annab1130

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014
South Mississippi
I'd really like to get an incubator and hatch eggs with my students. I've never hatched eggs before, so I really don't know where to begin. What type of incubator and brooding system should I get? What about environmental factors? Temperature, vibrations, NOISE, etc? These are middle school students I'm working with, so they're sort-of responsible. Is there a handy guide for teachers to use? Or have any teachers on here successfully hatched eggs in their classroom? Any and all information would be helpful!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd really like to get an incubator and hatch eggs with my students. I've never hatched eggs before, so I really don't know where to begin. What type of incubator and brooding system should I get? What about environmental factors? Temperature, vibrations, NOISE, etc? These are middle school students I'm working with, so they're sort-of responsible. Is there a handy guide for teachers to use? Or have any teachers on here successfully hatched eggs in their classroom? Any and all information would be helpful!

Thanks!
We've had many teachers and classroom hatchers on here. How many eggs are you thinking about incubating at one time and what is your $ range for an incubator?

Temps need to be fairly steady and it depends on which kind of bator you use as to actual temp settings. A still air needs to be 101-102F near the top of eggs. A forced air needs to be 99.5. Humidity is an issue that will get you 101 opinions, but in actuality it is just a matter of what works for you and your eggs. There are too many variables to say "x" humidity is the ideal. It's not hard to keep track of whether your humidity is optimal and when or if to adjust. Monitoring the air cells (what I choose) or weighing the eggs will point you in the right direction. You can read more about that here: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

Are you looking at getting local eggs or shipped eggs. Shipped eggs in general have a much lower hatch rate and can be a pain in the butt with misshapen air cells and damage. Are you looking for a specific breed or will any do? The big thing of course is having a place fr them once they are hatched.

Will you have an automatic turner (best idea for classroom) or hand turn? Chicken eggs take 21 days to hatch so plan ahead for a day that is a school day so the kids don't miss out.

There's lots of us here willing to help you along from beginning to end. Just note that we all have our opinions and many different hatching philosophies. That's the one thing that you can count on....lol Many different opinions and various experiences. You can almost always find lots of help here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/978237/she-said-he-said-whos-right-whos-wrong-no-one
We have a variety of opinions and you can find help with just about any incubator, because collectively I think someone has used just about all of them at some point....lol

Hi, this is just a suggestion, but if you have a local 4-H (Extension Office) they will sometimes bring the incubators and eggs to you and help you do already prepared lessons with your kids.

Our Extension Office does this in area schools here in our part of VA. My son is homeschooled, so we do our own at home (doing that now) and they are always there to help if we need it.

And if you are not going to keep the chicks, they will help find farms for them or folks that can always use a few more. Sometimes the kids get permission from parents to take a few when old enough, but that would have to be something between you and the parents and probably the school where you work.

Hope y'all have fun. It is great experience. We did our first hatch almost 5 years ago. We've done small hatches since then, but the one we are doing now, we hope to get some birds that might be the offspring of my son's deceased rooster.

Hi, this is just a suggestion, but if you have a local 4-H (Extension Office) they will sometimes bring the incubators and eggs to you and help you do already prepared lessons with your kids.

Our Extension Office does this in area schools here in our part of VA. My son is homeschooled, so we do our own at home (doing that now) and they are always there to help if we need it.

And if you are not going to keep the chicks, they will help find farms for them or folks that can always use a few more. Sometimes the kids get permission from parents to take a few when old enough, but that would have to be something between you and the parents and probably the school where you work.

Hope y'all have fun. It is great experience. We did our first hatch almost 5 years ago. We've done small hatches since then, but the one we are doing now, we hope to get some birds that might be the offspring of my son's deceased rooster.
Thanks! I hadn't even thought about the extension service! I'll give them a call. I plan on keeping the chicks. I've had chickens for a couple years now, but never hatched my own. Although, I'm sure a couple of the kids' parents wouldn't mind sending the chicks home. I live in a mostly rural area with many agricultural/farm families. The kids could probably teach this city girl all about it! LOL

We've had many teachers and classroom hatchers on here. How many eggs are you thinking about incubating at one time and what is your $ range for an incubator?

Temps need to be fairly steady and it depends on which kind of bator you use as to actual temp settings. A still air needs to be 101-102F near the top of eggs. A forced air needs to be 99.5. Humidity is an issue that will get you 101 opinions, but in actuality it is just a matter of what works for you and your eggs. There are too many variables to say "x" humidity is the ideal. It's not hard to keep track of whether your humidity is optimal and when or if to adjust. Monitoring the air cells (what I choose) or weighing the eggs will point you in the right direction. You can read more about that here: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

Are you looking at getting local eggs or shipped eggs. Shipped eggs in general have a much lower hatch rate and can be a pain in the butt with misshapen air cells and damage. Are you looking for a specific breed or will any do? The big thing of course is having a place fr them once they are hatched.

Will you have an automatic turner (best idea for classroom) or hand turn? Chicken eggs take 21 days to hatch so plan ahead for a day that is a school day so the kids don't miss out.

There's lots of us here willing to help you along from beginning to end. Just note that we all have our opinions and many different hatching philosophies. That's the one thing that you can count on....lol Many different opinions and various experiences. You can almost always find lots of help here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/978237/she-said-he-said-whos-right-whos-wrong-no-one
We have a variety of opinions and you can find help with just about any incubator, because collectively I think someone has used just about all of them at some point....lol
Thanks for the info! :)

Back
Top Bottom