Claws sticking out and dark membrane

Nikichick123

In the Brooder
May 19, 2021
I have some Pheasants hatching right now and this one has his two claws sticking out and the membrane looks dark even though the humidity is fine. It looks like the chick is making progress slowly but I feel bad seeing his foot sticking out. Should I help at all or do something? I've never experienced this.

Attachments

• 467068FE-6D9E-42C0-9C4B-7E80FAD82675.jpeg
    467068FE-6D9E-42C0-9C4B-7E80FAD82675.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 16
I have some Pheasants hatching right now and this one has his two claws sticking out and the membrane looks dark even though the humidity is fine. It looks like the chick is making progress slowly but I feel bad seeing his foot sticking out. Should I help at all or do something? I've never experienced this.
It looks like he began zipping but stalled out. What is your humidity at, and is your hygrometer salt tested?
Go ahead and help him out, gently. Just finish the zip for him and let him push out.
That chick's membrane looks very dry, which means your humidity is too low.

It looks like he began zipping but stalled out. What is your humidity at, and is your hygrometer salt tested?
Go ahead and help him out, gently. Just finish the zip for him and let him push out.
That chick's membrane looks very dry, which means your humidity is too low.
It's reading 73% which is strange and the other eggs are not dry like that. I will go ahead and pull away at the shell a little. Thank you

It's reading 73% which is strange and the other eggs are not dry like that. I will go ahead and pull away at the shell a little. Thank you
You'll definitely want to salt test it. There's lots of how-to videos online!
Make sure he comes all the way out, if a zip stalls for more than 45 minutes you should always help him out.

Back
Top Bottom