Clean Clean Clean

JakRat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Dover
I think I need to give my coop a massive scrub down. I feel like my girls are sick all the time even though we clean the coop out.

Is there a good super cleaner or will bleach just work as well?

How long do you have to keep the girls out of there for it to be ok for them to go back in?

Pressure washing?

Any help would be great!

We tried the semi deep litter method but found that that just doesnt work.

1 part bleach 10 parts water. That should get anything you need to get out of there. How often are you cleaning your coop? I do a good scrub down once a year. Once you've cleaned it all out and used the 1:10 solution, hose it down with water by the time it dries your girls will be ok to go back in.

what about oxyclean!

I am just joking, the commercials make it sound like it will clean anything... hmmm maybe scrubbing bubbles???

Thanks for the great links!

Just to put my two cents in Oxiclean does in fact clean wood very well. We use it to clean up our teak wood platform on the back of the boat. It sits in the water, but once oxicleaned it looks like brand new.

Just a side note...if you feel the coop is clean most of the time, perhaps there is a larger unlying problem. Do you have a vet local that will test your birds for a mycoplasma infection? An MG infection will never fully go away, and will come and go with stress and bad weather. Other than that...you may want to do some research on "whitewash" for your coop...that would be one way to ensure that it was germ free when you put them back in.

Back
Top Bottom