Clean Geese

FalseToast

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
Southern Ontario
Not a question, just a little update on my goslings!

Today’s been an eventful day. This morning the goslings seemed to get a bit messy over night, thus I felt the need to give them a bit of a hand in cleaning. Ran a shallow bath, put the little guys in, and watched them bath themselves in the fresh water. After, I decided to dry them off with the help of a blow dryer. The youngest took to it immediately; sitting down, gentle peeping, and closing his eyes. Once dry, I let ‘him’ rest as I collected the next. Unfortunately, the two older ones decided it was a bit more frightening. It took five minutes of allowing them to approach on their own before they too, climbed into my lap and allowed me to dry them off as they preened themselves and/or rested. I think it was a lot more stressful for me than them!

In the pen/brooder in the house, I fully cleaned and scrubbed it to tackle it another way. The flooring is tile that has grip so it’s not slippery and very easy to clean. I layered on some puppy pads to help absorb more poop and water. They definitely are a lot more messy than I expected but, no worries! Changed the feeder so it won’t clog up this time as well. Overall, definitely should be 100 times better than prior. During the day they’re outside while at night they’re inside all toasty warm.

It’s going to be a learning experience but, I believe these guys are going to enjoy the pampered life style I fully plan for them.

1B9A11E8-BC2C-4B4C-A5C6-EEA98AA46ED2.jpeg
Relaxing with the little guys was fun.

Sweet, sweet babies! And, if you think they're messy as goslings, just wait to see how much mess (and chaos) they can create when they're grown up.

But they're worth every mess they make! Although mine like to herd the ducks, poop everywhere, literally chew the wood trim off my house and sit in the water dishes, they also have the most personality and their out-of-nowhere zoomies down the driveway always make me smile.

I'll look forward to updates on your goslings!

Sweet, sweet babies! And, if you think they're messy as goslings, just wait to see how much mess (and chaos) they can create when they're grown up.

But they're worth every mess they make! Although mine like to herd the ducks, poop everywhere, literally chew the wood trim off my house and sit in the water dishes, they also have the most personality and their out-of-nowhere zoomies down the driveway always make me smile.

I'll look forward to updates on your goslings!
I’m looking forward to every second of it! Everyone on this property is super excited for what is to come from adulthood! They’ve got 3 acres of property to reveal their personalities on. 🥰

What sort of geese are they? They look awesome.
They’re brown chinese geese! Highly recommend the breed! From my research, I’ve learned:

- they’re excellent egg layers
- good for meat as it’s less greasy—if you’re looking for that
- very loud! They’re good for alerting for predators due to their alarm system!
- they’re also referred to as weeder geese if I recall correctly
- they get up to 3ft tall, 15lbs, and can live between 15-20 years!

Back
Top Bottom