Clean pond / duck pool

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sroberts, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sroberts

sroberts Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2016
    Any good suggestions on how to keep the pond clean? We have a filter and pump but it seems to get dirty so fast. It's one of the big pools from Walmart. Any chemicals you have used to help? Wishful thinking that I won't have to clean it out every few days!

2. Trifolium

Trifolium Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    I'm guessing it's one of those kiddie pools. Trying filtrate the water is usually a loss cause. I would just dump the water out or get a smaller pool if you feel it's too wasteful of water. Chemicals would be out of the question because the ducks will drink the water.

Maybe a few tablespoon of bleach may prolong the water and make it a little clearer but take caution and avoid using too much. I personally dump my water out each day. You could consider not having the pool up everyday, maybe once a week for them to take a bath to keep their feathers in good condition.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Something you might consider is what some call duckponics . . . a little involved, but a few people have made it work.

You pump the dirty water into a special garden bed that pulls the manure out of the water, then the water drips back into the pool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by