Cleaned up our set up

Batface

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2020
St Charles Parish, Louisisana
So we converted the tortoise table into a brooder for our chicks. We had coco fiber in it, as that's what we used for the totoise. Hes been moved to his outside pen. We planned to use the kitty litter scoop to clean up the poop but chick poop is too small and falls through the scoop. Also the chicks kicked up SOO much dust. We didnt want to run to town to get pine shavings or straw unless we really needed to. I found online that some people use shelf liner.

So we have paper down, and then the shelf liner and perches, food and water. The chicks seem disappointed that theres nothing to dig in now. They keep scratching next to the food and knocking themselves over. :gig

Does it look okay? It's been 10 or more years since we raised chicks. 20200402_133438.jpg

I can't comment on the liner, seems like a lot of people use that type of thing to start with but not for the entire brooder experience.

Looking at the pic...is that sheet metal? If so, it's super sharp and I would cover or remove it. Baby chicks are crazy, they run around, often erratically, and jump and whatnot.

What about a cover/roof? My chicks under 2 weeks can jump/flap/fly 2ft up no problem. I bet in another week they'll be able to get up much higher.

The perches look cool! :)

I can't blame them for being a little sad at the bedding being gone. Can you give them a pan of plain, clean dirt from outside to give them something to dig through?

Back
Top Bottom