Cleaner coop now that the meaties are gone

Quote:
I have been trying to talk myself into trying 10-12 of these since I won't have any CX's around for the next 8 weeks, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

i have 70 and believe me, only after you have ducks you know what "messy" and "pig" means. the cornish are angels comparing with the ducks. the ducks ARE the messiest birds ever and they eat like pigs. but they grow too. my pekins are only 6 weeks old and next week i'll butcher one to see what meat it has on it because they look huge.

Thanks for all the responses - like I said, I have no experience so I'm learning as I go and listening to the stories people tell.
I guess I'll have to get a couple of cornish X just to try for myself - I know theres a lot of downsides to them, but it seems theres also a very big plus side with their growth rate.

We are having CX for supper tonight. I'll tell you later if it was worth it!!
tongue2.gif

Quote:
You will love them. At least for me, the first one tasted "different", and took some time to get used to. Now store bought chicken tasted really different. I think the big thing is home grown ones have so much more flavor and texture.

Sorry for side tracking your thread. I will move the conversation on the other topic elsewhere.

Quote:
If you would like to discuss this further, I say we move the conversation to your "Heritage vs Meat Bird" thread. I won't add anything else unless you comment back.

Sorry for side tracking your thread. I will move the conversation on the other topic elsewhere.

No problem. I have also been debating raising DP. Have started hatching eggs and just figured I would butcher most of the roos. I WILL have more CX in the fall and will need to butcher a RIR also. Guess I will get to taste the difference then.​

Quote:
No problem. I have also been debating raising DP. Have started hatching eggs and just figured I would butcher most of the roos. I WILL have more CX in the fall and will need to butcher a RIR also. Guess I will get to taste the difference then.

I do both as well. I hatch out DP eggs for more hens and butcher the roos for the freezer. It makes for a nice balance. I seperate the roos from the hens at 10-12 weeks old and feed the roos the same feed I give my CX. I love the taste of Buff Orpington roos. They are my favorite. The dark meat is soooooooo good.

Back
Top Bottom