"Cleanest" butcher for taxidermy?

Pics

cottontail farm

Crowing
6 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Rural NW Pa
Ok, I really was not sure where to post this but have always found open minded, practical people in the Meat Birds section so here goes.
I collect curiosities and over the years have cleaned skulls from some of the birds I've raised with great results (from goose down to quail). Now I'm going into fall with too many Millie Fluer bantam roosters. I'd love to try to taxidermy one. Usually use the broomstick method on poultry but I'd like to keep the head on and skin intact as much as possible.
What's the best HUMANE way to kill a bantam so the carcass isn't damaged? I'm not sure I'm strong enough to dislocate the neck cleanly.
Thank you!

Ok, I really was not sure where to post this but have always found open minded, practical people in the Meat Birds section so here goes.
I collect curiosities and over the years have cleaned skulls from some of the birds I've raised with great results (from goose down to quail). Now I'm going into fall with too many Millie Fluer bantam roosters. I'd love to try to taxidermy one. Usually use the broomstick method on poultry but I'd like to keep the head on and skin intact as much as possible.
What's the best HUMANE way to kill a bantam so the carcass isn't damaged? I'm not sure I'm strong enough to dislocate the neck cleanly.
Thank you!
A taxidermy friend wanted a roo. He wanted to electrocute it. Not sure how he would have done that.

Someone on here was using ether in a tight container for non-food animals

Thank you!
Passes out, LOL.:th

Hmmm. For taxidermy, you just need the hide, right? I mean, you're not actually going to embalm the thing. To my limited knowledge, you don't need to keep the organs intact, you're going to mount it on a frame. That's how they do deer and other mammals so I'd imagine that's how one would do a bird as well. Having said that, I don't think it matters much how you do the actual kill, provided you don't damage the feathers too much. At some point you have to skin the bird, that's what you need to know. Google how to skin a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom