Cleaning an enclosed dirt run?

Add stuff. Dried leaves, cut grass, weeds, garden waste, kitchen scraps. Our goal is to have it resemble a forest floor. The only time we remove, is to add the compost to garden beds.

Attachments

• run.jpg
    run.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 34
You can either add or remove stuff haha.
My parents rake their chicken yard with a rake that has plenty of fine-ish teeth, and using a shovel as a dustpan they move poop and snack leftovers into a wheelbarrow that takes that stuff to the compost bin. They live in El Paso, in an extremely arid environment (the Chihuahua Desert); I'm not sure how well the method of adding stuff works in an extremely hot, dry environment. Here in Albuquerque so far I am just adding - alfalfa, scraps, scratch grains to stir up the mix... The good thing about that is it keeps the chickens entertained and brings in some bugs. I will say though, I've put up some fly papers (not that it smells or anything) and I've caught about a thousand gnats. I never see any when I'm in there though so that's good. I'm not sure if the 'stuff' attracts them or if they'd be there anyway, just wanted to make a point of it.... In any case I would (and am) just try one way and if you don't like it or its a problem, you can always rake it up and try again!

I will say though, I've put up some fly papers (not that it smells or anything) and I've caught about a thousand gnats. I never see any when I'm in there though so that's good. I'm not sure if the 'stuff' attracts them or if they'd be there anyway, just wanted to make a point of it.... In any case I would (and am) just try one way and if you don't like it or its a problem, you can always rake it up and try again!

My chickens bring in thousands of flies, to the point where we had to move them away from the house. That chicken poop is the good stuff I guess.

I'd switch away from "just dirt" - depending on your climate deep litter as jreardon1918 mentioned or sand could be possibilities. The issue with not using any litter at all is dirt really can't be "cleaned" of poop effectively other than by removing it, and if you add some rain or snow to the mix, it'll end up turning into smelly mud.

What is a good method for "cleaning" the natural soil/dirt floor of an enclosed outdoor run? Do I just rake around the dirt? Remove some dirt and add fresh dirt on top? Any ideas and suggestions welcome.
My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
full

Much depends on climate.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-5-30_16-59-59.png

I'm in SoCal and I've had a dirt run for 2 years. I just don't see or smell a build up. The flock works it in pretty successfully. With my dry climate, rain and snow are never a problem. And the whole run is their dust bath.

I guess the day could come when I feel the need to break it up and allow the waste to go even deeper. I'm keeping an open mind to it.

I have a dirt run, also. I scoop all the poop daily. Weekly, I take a pitchfork and hoe and turn the dirt over really well. It keeps it from being compacted. -and the soil must be good, rich soil because it is loaded with earthworms. (in N. Texas with very hot weather/little to no snow, and moderate/sometimes sparse rainfall)

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
full

Much depends on climate.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1795404

I am located in northeastern Massachusetts. I'm in a wooded area and I have plenty of access to dried leaves, etc. Should I start by tossing some dried leaves and twigs in the run?

Back
Top Bottom