cleaning broiler question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by txmel, Jan 8, 2011.

1. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    My daughters are in 4H for the first time this year and are raising broilers. this is my first experience with this breed and i have to say they are very messy birds. i need to know from those of you who have kids in 4H and show broilers do you wash them prior to the show. i am a little nervous about washing these birds for a couple of reasons A: i dont want to bruise them, B: i dont want them to struggle and end up breaking a wing, C: i dont want to stress them so much that they have a heart attack. I was told these birds are large and very fragile in that the wings break easy and the bruise, both of which will disqualify the birds in the show. my husband and i processed some of the smaller one that arent big enough to show today and their wings did break easily with the flapping they did. these birds were big at around 6 to 7 pounds dressed and i am afraid the bigger ones might be to fragile as well. can some one tell me does everyone wash their birds and how can you do it without freaking the birds out? Thanks all

2. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    We wash ours. It's easier if they are used to being handled and if you have two people to do the washing. One to hold the bird with the wings against the body and one to wash. We have a big sink in our garage and I put a couple of inches of warm water in it and use a wash cloth to wipe their bellies and get all the poo off. Then I change the water and a just a bit of woolite and wash them again to help get the feathers white. At the show I will use a baby wipe to clean them again before judging. Our fair is pretty laid back for the birds. The kids don't actually show them, the judge removes them from the cage. The kids don't even have to be there but the judge always appreciates not having to grab a dirty bird.

Oh, I'm sure you already know but you go with the feathers when you are washing/wiping so you don't pull any out or mess them up and make sure they are completely dry before putting them back outside. We use a blowdryer with the low heat setting and keep it moving. You don't want to burn the bird. I saw a link to a you tube video on here awhile back that showed some kids cleaning their fair birds. If I find it again I'll post it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  3. terri9630

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Here are a few.

4. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    thanks all for the help very much appreciated

5. terri9630

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    No problem. The first year we showed chickens was definately a learning process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by