Cleaning Brooder

They're not happy about it. As Huntmaster noted, they're programed to fear something coming down on them from above, so if there's space for it try and approach with your hand from the side and scoop them up from below.

My current brooder set up requires zero cleaning as it's outdoors. Do you have your coop set up already? If you can run electricity out there you might want to consider brooding outside, depending on what temperatures look like.
I had set it up outside; but the temps were dipping into the low 30s. I was worried about them freezing. I do have a lamp; which I am using.

I see. Should I look at making a different brooder?
You could look into cutting an opening on the side of the tote for something like a side door access, though I don't know how secure your brooder is where it's at (i.e. if you have a cat or dog, simply taping hardware cloth over the opening might not be secure enough).

And just for reference, this is what my outdoor brooder looks like. So access is via the bottom-hinged side panel, instead of on top like a tote, box or tub would have.
brood2.jpg

You could look into cutting an opening on the side of the tote for something like a side door access, though I don't know how secure your brooder is where it's at (i.e. if you have a cat or dog, simply taping hardware cloth over the opening might not be secure enough).
My wife asked me about that 😁
I’m not sure how I would secure it.
I don’t have cats. Two dogs, but they’re not that interested in the chicks.

We raise ours in a tote in the house up to about three weeks. We clean them at night to keep them from freaking out. We have an extra tote we move them into. Then we strip out the dirty tote, change the "diapers" (puppy pee pads), put in fresh food and water, then replace the chicks. Easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom