Cleaning Chicken Poop In Coop!

I have heard of lemon juice, NOT bleach for cleaning. I use fresh lemons right on roosting bar and it dissolves the feces, also on litter pans.

Just build your coop leaving the floor dirt. It is awesome. Once a week, I rake out the hay or leaves or whatever I used for litter and toss into the compost pile then rake the dirt firmly to give it a good turn and scoop out any of the raked up soil that may be "poopy" however, most of it is matted up in the litter then sprinkle a fine layer of de and toss in new litter. So easy to just rake and start with fresh ground each week than all that cleaning and stuff. It has worked great for me with 0 issues.

OK, call me crazy I'm new to these things they call chickens, but I've always wanted them so I'm gonna do it. I have dogs I'm what some might call "over protective of". I just prefer to say I'm cautious and careful because they're my responsibility. I'm planning the erection of the grand coop. Have everything situated in my head except....THE POOP !!! It's going to be a "travel by night operation". In other words, once I put the little chicky girls up each night I plan to move their coop, so in the morning they have all new bugs, guts, grass, etc to munch and they don't beat the heck out of one spot. NOW.... being "cautious" of possible chicken poop type diseases and knowing how two of my dogs will eat and smell anything .....WHAT DO I DO TO CLEAN THE AREA I JUST MOVED THE COOP AWAY FROM ???? I know bleach will kill parvo in grass but not sure about chicken poop diseases. I use DE for other things, but knowing the smelling noses of dogs and how DE is dangerous for them to breathe....WHAT DO I CLEAN THE GRASS WITH ????
My dogs LOVE the poop. They are schnauzers so they end up with nasty stinky beards. It hasn't hurt them to nibble on the poo but I try and discourage it just because they STINK and want to come over and kiss us in the face after having a nice poo snack!! I too have a chicken tractor to move every day or so, hosing down the area after it is moved works a bit, they still roll in it though. Over all, dogs as much as I love them, are nasty!!
barnie.gif

I also poo pick daily. About a week ago day ago, I cleaned the entire coop out  and put down a linoleum floor to protect the plywood. (the cheap stick on 1'x1' squares, 8x10 coop=$30.00 @ Home Depot) Then, in a stroke of genius, I made 2 large troughs along the sides of the coop under the roosts and filled them with sand. I just used 1"x4"'s. Then put the pine shavings only in the middle. Now it's soo much easier to scoop out! I use a cat litter scoop and an old ice scraper to scrape the roosts. I'm surprised at how clean the pine shaving in the middle are staying.

I did the same putting linoleum down and I use sand inside my coop. Poop dries quickly and easy clean up.

I've read through this whole thread, and it's been so informative - Thanks! One more questions to throw into the mix. What's the best bedding for a linoleum floored coop? I'm using a mixture of straw and pine shavings right now, and yesterday I went to clean the coop and had crazy flies and whatnot breeding where it had gotten damp under the window. I promptly stripped the coop, scrubbed with vinegar water, let it dry, and put down DE and then straw and shavings. We keep the windows open all the time right now, so rain gets in. Any advice for best absorbency? I'm totally new to all of this and am learning as I go.

I agree, I am using sand in the drop box and in the run. I occasionally throw in a little PDZ and DE in the drop box. In the winter (I live in theNortheast), I top the sand with a little wood shavings in the coop, and with straw in the pen for extra warmth. Every day I scoop out the poop with a litter scoop. The sand mixture and the wood shavings sift right through. Has been working fine so far. This is my first year having chickens so I am constantly learning.

Back
Top Bottom