Cleaning chook poop off ceramic???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hamptons06, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    What can I use to remove the chook's poop off ceramic tiles?? I've tried a few things and it takes a lot of elbow grease. Any ideas? [​IMG]

2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I've never had to deal with this particular um, substance on tile, but when it gets stuck to the cage floors at work I usually get a paper towel, wet it, squirt a little dish soap on it then, place over the offending substance. Let it be good and wet. Now, go get a cup of coffee and take a well deserved break. 5-20 minutes later (how ever long your break needs to be, but not long enough for the towel to dry out) the poo should be softer and easier to wipe up. You may still have to scrub a bit, but no where near as hard as if you were trying to do it without the soaking. Than, use whatever disinfectant you normally use to wipe the area down.
    I hope this works for you!
    Happy Christmas!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Hot, Hot (boiling if possible) water and DISHWASHER detergent added to it.

Let it soak in.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  5. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:PERFECT!! Going to get some today! Thanks for all the suggestions! [​IMG]

6. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:I tried this first before getting anything else with reg Dawn and just hot water.... CAME OUT no problem!!! [​IMG] Thanks a lot!!

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Good suggestions. Letting it soak for a few min is good. Any liquid soap is great. A scrubby pad or scrub brush will do it then. I do my poop planks once or twice a year that way, out in the back yard near to the lawn hydrant. They are linoleum covered.

Suggestion: Re-grout your tile, and use dark brown grout when you do. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by