Cleaning eggs

I'm a fairly new chicken mom, but I don't either since my girls are tidy and don't poo in the nest boxes:weee so the eggs don't get dirty. From what I've read here on BYC, washing removes the bloom and makes the eggs age faster so unless they're really yucky:sickit's best to let them be.

Last edited:
this may be gross but i dont wash my eggs unless they are really poopy...i just wash before use and have taught my kids to do the same

This subject is one that is debated quite often here.

Yes washing can remove the bloom but if you keep your eggs in the refrigerator it shouldn't be a problem.

I say if they are dirty then wash them, dry them, and put them in the refrigerator.

If they are clean then just put them in the fridge.

When I used to get eggs from my neighbor they were usually covered in poo. My chickens started laying a couple weeks ago and NONE of the eggs have poo. Even today, when we got home from church, there were three eggs in one nest and NO poo.

What's different that would cause the poo ~vs~ no poo eggs?

One of my barred rocks seems to get a dirty butt - I've had to clean her a few times. When her butt is dirty, there's a bit of poo on her eggs. I don't wash them until ready to use. I also don't give those eggs away - I don't want anyone else to have to deal with my dirty eggs!

Hi
Ive read that you are not supose to wash them,Ive also read it dosent matter.Personally I dotn wash them until im ready to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom