Cleaning out brooder waterer 100 times a day

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rachel'sFlock, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

the shredded pine we use for litter gets into the waterer in my brooder, and eventually (within 18-23 seconds) becomes completely full of shavings and feed.
    Anyone have any ideas for keeping this cleaner, longer? For now, I am just cleaning it out every time I think of it, which is starting to feel like a hundred times a day.
    Thanks bunches, in advance, Chicken People!
    Brightest Blessings
  2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I'm doing the same thing. I started putting a puppy pad down on top of the shavings with the water on top, I still have to clean it like 5 times a day, but a lot less than I was before.
  3. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm using one of my rabbit bottles to water one group and new type of rabbit bottles that have a nipple waterer for other two groups. When we get the run/coop done, we will put nipple waterers in the run and coop.
  4. paridisefarm2009

paridisefarm2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson Florida
    Put the water on top of somthing small where they can still get to it But not get anything into it Like a small piece of wood to raise it out of the path of stuff , that's what I do and it helps a lot
  5. Rachel'sFlock

Thanks, Kelseygirl and BooBoo'sMama !
    These are good ideas.
    I don't have any nippley waterers, but I can probably wing some sort of "ground-cover" to put under the one I have.
    Thanks, again.
    I knew you all were the folks to ask!
  6. Rachel'sFlock

Perfect idea, Paradisefarm!
    Thank you. I can do this!
  7. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Put it on top of a mason brick. It is just the right height (no higher than their shoulders) and it will stay nice and clean.
  8. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Set your waterer on some paving stones or bricks, or if your run has a cover, you can hang it a few inches off the ground.
  9. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I had the same problem and used a brick also. I put a large 5 gallon bucket lid on the bricks, and the water set on top of that. The chicks are growing fast, and eventually, they started flinging the wood chips clear across the brooder and into the water again! [​IMG]
    Now, I've added a second layer of bricks. Most are tall enough to reach it easily, and I have a couple bricks on the side as steps for the shorter birds. The water stays much cleaner now.
  10. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Elevating did not BO managed to get junk in the waterer even when elevated or they knocked it off and the next morning I had screaming chicks because they went all night without water. [​IMG] After reading on here, I decided to try a spare rabbit bottle and it worked. DH found new rabbit waterers that have the nipple type of end. I have two of these in my hutch that houses 11 chicks. We are in the 100's so I'm making sure they stay full.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by