Cleaning out brooder waterer 100 times a day

Thank you BukaBucka, OldChickenLady and Dragonfly Ranch for your splendid ideas.
I have placed the waterer on a block of wood, at their correct height, and it is just brilliant! 15 whole minutes and only 1 flake of wood so far!
THANK YOU!
love.gif

Also, for those who suggested a clump of dirt with grass on top would make a fun toy for chicks, you, too, deserve my humble thanks! They are all practicing their scratching, eating the unfortunate bugs who came with the clump, and mowing the grass on top. Big fun!
wee.gif

Bright Blessings and thanks, as always
Rachel

I put an 18" square piece of plywood right on top of the shavings. Then I put the waterer on blocks on top of the plywood. Every now and then I have to wipe a few shavings off of the plywood. My 50 5wk. olds get very few shavings in their water even after several hours.

Thank you, ever so much, Chook-A-Holic Marty!
50 babies, holy mackeral! I have 6 and they are in a rather smallish place, but I think I can adapt the concept to a smaller brooder.
I am absolutely going to use that idea when I put them in the Chickenarium, when they are fully feathered.
Thanks again!
Bright Blessings
Rachel

I use wood as well, but use a 1" think piece. It is just tall enough to keep the shavings (mostly) out and is stable as well.

I stumbled onto a good item for this problem. My wife bought some mandarin oranges and the came in a small wooden crate. About 10" wide and 16" inches long, but only a couple of inches high. I turned it upside down and put the waterer on top. After the first couple of days they are able to jump on top of it to drink and as a bonus the bottom of the box has holes that let the chips they kick up there fall back through! I still have to clean it twice a day, but much better than the other things I've tried.

I was having that same problem so what I did was I took a bottom of an adult waterer and sat the the chick waterer on top of it...but I have the gallon size waterer.

Put the (I assume quart waterer) up off the base of your brooder floor. Move all shavings aside and raise it up with wood squares until the birds can get a drink and not fowl (sic) the water.

Do a search on this site about water nipples. If you decide to buy some check with Neil Grassbaugh. The prices are right and you will not wait long at all. Most people are reporting a few days. I haven't used them for chicks but others have just raved about them.

We use two metal pans. One right side up to catch the food that they insist on scratching out of the feeder and one upside down to elevate the waterer and (mostly) keep bedding out of it.

peeps%20026%20%28Large%29.jpg

Back
Top Bottom