Cleaning out the fridge

caspernc

Songster
9 Years
Oct 15, 2010
Z town NC
OK. Black bean corn and onion salsa? Ok or not. How much to feed at a time? I have Pig pickin pig left over from last summer needs to go. I have 31 15 week chickens. How much can they eat at a time. I have been making oatmeal and raisins for us, I eat a bowl and they get the rest of a two cup water, one cup oat meal recipe every morning so I thought I would stop cooking for the girls and feed them this other stuff for break fast. I'm thinking about a cup of both the salsa and a cup of pork. But I'm questioning the food.

All's I know about feeding them salsa is that some ppl fill up empty eggs when they're trying to break chickens on egg eating. I guess it doesn't taste the best to them.

NO onion is fine but will make the egg taste off but they aren't laying yet. I was talking about the black beans.

Black beans should be OK. The problem with beans are if they are not cooked. I think your plan sounds OK.

Imp- Could you send me some for dinner?

My chickens will eat all kinds of beans. They always get my leftovers. I eat beans a lot as my meat replacement at dinnertime and there's always some leftover for the girls. Good source of protein!

Quote:
mine love onions, it's one of their favorite treats. Are you sure it's not good for them?

I just read several other threads here, and googled it some, and I didn't find a definitive source one way or the other; I'd like a reference if it really is bad for them.

TIA,

Last edited:
A simple rule of thumb is-if you can eat it they can eat it: regardless of what you may read here.

Okay, I have to ask, (this must be a regional thing) what in the world is Pig pickin pig????
hu.gif

celebrate.gif
droolin.gif
lau.gif
That is SO understable!!!! I'm from Oregon so 35 years ago I had NO idea what a pig pickin was. You get a whole pig from a butcher and put it on a HUDGE grill and cook it very slowly for a long time and it is THE BOMB!!!!! If you have lft overs you put it in freezer wrapped in the skin and foil and a extra large baggie. I t will last far a year at least. We had a wedding another pig pickin and another function. ALOT OF PIG!!!!!!!! So I'm getting in all sorted out.

Back
Top Bottom