Cleaning out the fridge

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by caspernc, May 30, 2011.

1. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    OK. Black bean corn and onion salsa? Ok or not. How much to feed at a time? I have Pig pickin pig left over from last summer needs to go. I have 31 15 week chickens. How much can they eat at a time. I have been making oatmeal and raisins for us, I eat a bowl and they get the rest of a two cup water, one cup oat meal recipe every morning so I thought I would stop cooking for the girls and feed them this other stuff for break fast. I'm thinking about a cup of both the salsa and a cup of pork. But I'm questioning the food.

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    All's I know about feeding them salsa is that some ppl fill up empty eggs when they're trying to break chickens on egg eating. I guess it doesn't taste the best to them.

3. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Onion is not good for them! Meat's fine, but no onions!!

4. caspernc

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    NO onion is fine but will make the egg taste off but they aren't laying yet. I was talking about the black beans.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Black beans should be OK. The problem with beans are if they are not cooked. I think your plan sounds OK.

Imp- Could you send me some for dinner?

6. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    My chickens will eat all kinds of beans. They always get my leftovers. I eat beans a lot as my meat replacement at dinnertime and there's always some leftover for the girls. Good source of protein!

7. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Quote:mine love onions, it's one of their favorite treats. Are you sure it's not good for them?

I just read several other threads here, and googled it some, and I didn't find a definitive source one way or the other; I'd like a reference if it really is bad for them.

TIA,

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    A simple rule of thumb is-if you can eat it they can eat it: regardless of what you may read here.

9. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    Okay, I have to ask, (this must be a regional thing) what in the world is Pig pickin pig????[​IMG]

10. caspernc

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] That is SO understable!!!! I'm from Oregon so 35 years ago I had NO idea what a pig pickin was. You get a whole pig from a butcher and put it on a HUDGE grill and cook it very slowly for a long time and it is THE BOMB!!!!! If you have lft overs you put it in freezer wrapped in the skin and foil and a extra large baggie. I t will last far a year at least. We had a wedding another pig pickin and another function. ALOT OF PIG!!!!!!!! So I'm getting in all sorted out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by