Cleaning poop boards

yyz0yyz0

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2012
Have a question regarding my poop boards. I have deep litter in the coop and poop boards with Sweet PDZ under the roosts. Every couple days I use a litter scoop and clean the poop out of the sweet pdz.
Every couple weeks I take a finer screen scoop and sift through the sweet pdz to get more of the smaller poop chips that fall through my litter scoop. After this cleaning the sweet pdz appears almost new, although I'm sure that there is always some pieces left over. I've had these boards installed and filled with the same sweet pdz for 5months now, I have added new sweet pdz as it gets low.

Ok, now to the question: Do the poop boards need a complete empty and refresh with new sweet pdz or can I just keep going like this as long as they appear clean and not filled with poop?

POOP BOARDS are the "BEST" addition yet. Handles well over ½ of the poop in my set up keeps ammonia smell in check 3½" below roost excellent for catching eggs laid through the night (roost are in cups for easier removal and cleaning). I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in.

Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new.

Easy peasy!.

I've just been adding to my poop board PDZ. I don't think I'll replace it completely but will make that decision in the spring when I do a deep cleaning.

I have had my PDZ on my boards for just over a year now. I have never emptied them, only put a fresh bag or two in occasionally to refresh them.

I guess I was worried about parasites or something like that if the boards were not completely cleaned and fresh unused PDZ was placed back in them. My boards are removable, it's just that it will be a big job to remove and reinstall them so I was hoping that it's not something that needs to be done often.

So far they are working great, although it's kind of freaky to see some of the weird poops that are dropped in them occasionally. They get scooped every couple days and the pdz looks like new after a cleaning. Sometimes there is a real wet spot and I just stir it around and mix it into the rest and it dries right out.

Poop boards are nice to have under roost bars. I would sift or scape the board daily on your rounds to the coop. My board is scraped into a dust pan and then I occasionally will dust the board with DE or Sweet PDZ to keep things dry. I would think that sifting is adequate and replace material now and then. If you have strong odors even after daily cleaning then open more vents in the coop.

Poop boards are the best! Majority of poop is on them, I am using just Sweet PZD on top of plastic lunch trays with this scoop I found on Amazon, easy peasy!

518ZmyFlNRL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Sta...4&sr=8-1&keywords=exo+terra+stainless+scooper

Last edited:
I've been using the same poop board set up with Sweet PDZ. I absolutely love it!!
I've had mine set up for about a year and have only had to add a couple bags to keep the levels up. No smell at all and the wood underneath is still untouched by poo. :)

Back
Top Bottom