Cleaning question ?

cajunlizz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana
How are ya'll proper cleaning the water containers ?

Using any product like bleach , soap powders ?
he.gif

I just run mine under the tap and give them a rub with my fingers to get any green stuff off. I don't use any chemicals, but I don't have any tiny young birds.

Warren wrote:
give them a rub with my fingers to get any green stuff off

I hope by "green stuff" you mean poop, and not algae. That would mean the water containers are not getting clean often enough. I only do mine once or twice a week, but I have them set up above floor level so they don't get full of shavings and stuff.​

if you need something scrubby to get out accumulated scum, you should try a baking soda paste. it's what i use in my shower and it takes off even soap scum and hard water, so it can take out anything icky in your waterer. otherwise hot water and a dash of dish soap, rinsed well, should do the job fine.

I spray mine with a bleach and water solution once a week and then spray them really good with the hose. I've read that putting apple cider vinegar in the water will cut down on algae developing and it's good for the chickens as well. Ratio of 4 teaspoon per gallon of water. You might want to start with a weaker ratio to get them used to the taste.

Back
Top Bottom