Cleaning sand?

chicklady21

Chirping
Mar 30, 2017
I have sand in my coop and run and I am experienceing cleaning problems. I put wire over a horse poop scooper like recommended, but it is really hard to push under the sand. How do I clean my coop? Also the poop seems to get mixed around and buried in the sand. This is creating a stench
What do I do?

xoxo chicklady21

I use a kitty litter scoop taped to a longer handle. I'm scooping turkey poop though, which is bigger, but has smaller bits.

I have sand in my coop and run and I am experienceing cleaning problems. I put wire over a horse poop scooper like recommended, but it is really hard to push under the sand. How do I clean my coop? Also the poop seems to get mixed around and buried in the sand. This is creating a stench What do I do?
This is why sand is usually not an ideal bedding, it eventually becomes saturated with pulverized poops that cannot be removed/cleaned and then the slightest dampness can create a reeking miasma. Although sand can be a good drainage materiel in certain situations, it does 'hold' moisture and doesn't dry out that quickly unless you are in an arid climate.

I use a sand/PDZ mix in my brooder, but after a few batches of chicks it just stunk.
Ended up using the ~5 gallons of stinky sand mix to fill some holes in my yard from an auto accident. I still use it in brooder but, I move the chicks to the coop at 1-3 weeks, use the 'dirty' brooder bedding on the poop boards in the coop, and mix fresh for the brooder each hatching season.

I use to use sand in my coop. I found the kitty litter scoop wasn't able to pick it all up and left a lot of it in the sand. So I turned to disposable vinyl gloves. I use these all the time now to pick up the coop and run! You can get it all, your hands stay clean and I use the glove until it's gets too nasty.

This is why sand is usually not an ideal bedding, it eventually becomes saturated with pulverized poops that cannot be removed/cleaned and then the slightest dampness can create a reeking miasma. Although sand can be a good drainage materiel in certain situations, it does 'hold' moisture and doesn't dry out that quickly unless you are in an arid climate.

I use a sand/PDZ mix in my brooder, but after a few batches of chicks it just stunk.
Ended up using the ~5 gallons of stinky sand mix to fill some holes in my yard from an auto accident. I still use it in brooder but, I move the chicks to the coop at 1-3 weeks, use the 'dirty' brooder bedding on the poop boards in the coop, and mix fresh for the brooder each hatching season.
I couldn't disagree more. The sand almost seems to dry out the poop. I use a kitty litter scoop once a day and if the sand gets wet from rain I simply rake it or turn it over in the wet spots to dry it out. No fuss, no muss and more importantly no stink. But we all have our own preferred method that we prefer

I couldn't disagree more. The sand almost seems to dry out the poop. I use a kitty litter scoop once a day and if the sand gets wet from rain I simply rake it or turn it over in the wet spots to dry it out. No fuss, no muss and more importantly no stink. But we all have our own preferred method that we prefer
How long have you been using sand?
Do you change it out every once in while?

Back
Top Bottom