Is beach sand alright to use in a chicken run?

Sammy Sam

Songster
Dec 8, 2023
I’ll be getting ready to start my run in a few days and I noticed pooling of rain in that area! Is there a way to make that area not pool full of water? I was thinking of using beach sand from Jacksonville Florida. Is it safe to use or do I have to buy a certain type of sand for the run and coop? I’m also thinking of using it in the coop, because people say it’s easy to just scoop the poop. I’ll also look up, if I’m able take an occasional bucket full of sand too.

Better to keep the water from getting into the run than just covering it up with sand.
Where is the water coming from?
Is the run ground lower than the surrounding ground?
Building up the soil in the run and/or digging trenches around the outside to divert runoff would be a better solution.

Better to keep the water from getting into the run than just covering it up with sand.
Where is the water coming from?
Is the run ground lower than the surrounding ground?
Building up the soil in the run and/or digging trenches around the outside to divert runoff would be a better solution.
Just from the rain, it isn’t draining. It’s a little lower and the coop is higher, but I can build up the run to make it the same hight. The beach sand was to be used after I fixed the drainage problem. I was wondering if beach sand was safe, because I can’t recall which sand everyone mentioned not to use. More research on my part. I’ll build it up, like you mentioned. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom