Cleaning the chicken coop questions...

Looks like a great space to work with. The open soffits are wonderful, though I agree that hardware cloth is needed against predators.

Do you have a ridge vent? If not, I suggest opening up the gable peak. Heat and ammonia both rise and so either soffit and ridge or soffit and gable peak ventilation creates the idea draft-free but airy environment.

Then you could add top-hinged windows anywhere you think they're convenient to bring in light and additional air. But use hardware cloth to cover all openings because predators can rip right through chicken wire.

It would be hard to ask for a better building to convert. :)

And yes, I would also cover those wires. I don't know that they'd peck at them, but I could see my Popcorn, who likes squeezing through tight spaces, getting caught in them.
Thanks! I think it does have a ridge vent but I'm not 100% honestly lol. I think I might make some sort of wooden box that opens to cover the electrical I've noticed they are pretty curious and anything they can get a hold of they take lol. I'm gonna try to do more predator proofing this weekend that's my biggest concern. We don't much around here but I definitely don't want to take a chance .

What a great space to work with! Lucky you and lucky chickens! :thumbsup

Anything in the coop will end up with dust on it. Keep that in mind for stuff you might store in there; I think I saw a sprinkler hung on the wall. If you want to keep things in there, maybe put it in a tote that has a lid?

The dust is, well, icky, when you think of what's in it. Chicken dander, pulverized dried out poop, bedding... That kind of stuff.

Got some pictures ! The window I was thinking what if I remove it and put chicken wire to have some air flow and have a little wooden door to close it when we have heavy rain or during winter months...also should I be concern about them chewing on those wires? They haven't so far...we put a radio in there to help keep predators away and to get them use to sounds haha I'm not sure if that works but I don't think they mind anyway haha.
View attachment 2709235
View attachment 2709234
View attachment 2709228View attachment 2709227View attachment 2709229
View attachment 2709241
Do not use chicken wire. Preditors can reach through it and will attempt to pull your chickens through it. Plus, some squeeze through it. You need the wire called "Hardward cloth". It has small squares. When you attach it, use washers to secure it in place and screws. Preditors can be very pushy when they are hungry. Here is what I do to cut it because the wire is thick. Don't use wire cutters because your hands and fingers will "kill" you using them. Personally, I use an Angle Grinder. I literally buzz right through that wire and leave no sharp edges. It's quick and painless. Wear safety googles because the grinder against the metal wire sends sparks flying.
I love my Angle Grinder. If you don't have one, buy one. It's a life saver and cuts your labor time by 80%.
I also have shutters with latches to batten down the hatches for wind, rain and hurricanes here in Florida.
As far as your roosts (perches), make sure to use a 2x4. Sand down the board & slightly round the sharp edges smooth enough to run your hand back n forth without getting a splinter.
Make sure they can sit on the 4 inch side. This way they can "sit" down on their feet to prevent frost bite and cold feet.
Congratulations on making your shed into a coop.

Last edited:
I'm new to the entire chicken keeping so I'm trying to do as much research as possible to keep our chickens healthy. We are using our shed as our chickens home and the floor is cement , can I still do the deep litter method or does that work better on soil? Do I need to add anything accept for wood shavings? Also , we have a wrap around working bench which obviously is now a chicken hang out spot so it gathers lots of poop! Once I sweep it off should I wipe it down with anything ? Lol sorry if some of these questions are silly
I used shavings and straw for deep bedding for 40 years of chicken raising, and now I use sand, which I LOVE! My indoor coop is also on a cement floor inside our shop, and I found by experiment it works best to have it only lightly covered with sand. Deep sand raises too much dust when raked, and it's more difficult to exchange for new, clean sand. (You can see in the picture how light a sand base I use.) Every morning I rake, sometimes while they are still waking up on the roost, broom it into a dust pan, lay down the 1/4" wire mesh screen I built, pour it through, and lift the screen with the poop for compost, reusing the sand. Takes me about 3 minutes (a bigger coop would take longer, of course). The coop is super clean--no smells, no need for Sweet PFZ, no huge nasty job of cleaning the wet, soiled deep bedding. An added bonus is the riverbed sand is free to me--right out my back door in the desert. Every week I put a shovelful or two of new sand in, and every couple weeks I sweep the sand out and replace it. Easiest and cleanest coop I've ever owned!
Chicken indoor pen.jpg

20210513_144632.jpg

20210513_144702.jpg

20210612_061817.jpg

Last edited:
I used shavings and straw for deep bedding for 40 years of chicken raising, and now I use sand, which I LOVE! My indoor coop is also on a cement floor inside our shop, and I found by experiment it works best to have it only lightly covered with sand. Deep sand raises too much dust when raked, and it's more difficult to exchange for new, clean sand. (You can see in the picture how light a sand base I use.) Every morning I rake, sometimes while they are still waking up on the roost, broom it into a dust pan, lay down the 1/4" wire mesh screen I built, pour it through, and lift the screen with the poop for compost, reusing the sand. Takes me about 3 minutes (a bigger coop would take longer, of course). The coop is super clean--no smells, no need for Sweet PFZ, no huge nasty job of cleaning the wet, soiled deep bedding. An added bonus is the riverbed sand is free to me--right out my back door in the desert. Every week I put a shovelful or two of new sand in, and every couple weeks I sweep the sand out and replace it. Easiest and cleanest coop I've ever owned!
View attachment 2715034

View attachment 2715037
That looks so nice !

I'm new to the entire chicken keeping so I'm trying to do as much research as possible to keep our chickens healthy. We are using our shed as our chickens home and the floor is cement , can I still do the deep litter method or does that work better on soil? Do I need to add anything accept for wood shavings? Also , we have a wrap around working bench which obviously is now a chicken hang out spot so it gathers lots of poop! Once I sweep it off should I wipe it down with anything ? Lol sorry if some of these questions are silly

Clean the floor and put down some vinyl floor covering. Then add construction grade sand as the litter. The sand is so easy to clean you scoop the droppings just like you would as if it was a kitty litter box. One tip, don’t use play sand because it is to dusty. Also get on Facebook and watch Kathy the Chicken Chick

Back
Top Bottom