Cleaning used coop

DUWBACC

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2016
NC
We are moving to a house with an existing coop where 4 hens live. The hens will move with the sellers, but I was wondering how I should disinfect the coop? The run is TINY, so I will have a nice big one built. The coop itself is very nice except for the chicken wire on the windows - going to replace with hardware cloth. My babies will arrive October 12. Planning to brood them inside with mama heating pad for a week, then to the coop with mama heating pad. We are in NC so it won't be horribly cold yet.

Also, how do I keep the hardware cloth "Windows" from being drafty, while keeping the ventilation?

Thanks for disinfecting tips!

Last edited:
Hi, how exciting to get babies!

I am not sure about the disinfecting... I know pest control is important to make sure you don't have lice, mites, that kinda stuff. Lot's of people use DE, but it isn't for me. I'm sure you will get more suggestions.

Are the windows above the roost area? If they are higher then drafty might not be much of an issue. But you already know to change to hardware cloth, so sounds like you are off to a good start.

Congratulations on your new house and flock!
highfive.gif

Sorry I'm not more help.
hmm.png

ETA: I use bleach water when I want to disinfect anything.

Last edited:
My biggest fear would be mites, the kind that live in the structure and feed at night.

Bleach sprayed on ammonia can be dangerous, so make sure you run fans and have great ventilation if you're going to use bleach.

Best bet would be to empty out all bedding, scrape off as much poop as possible and give it a good airing out.

Got any pics of coop, inside and out?

My biggest fear would be mites, the kind that live in the structure and feed at night.

Bleach sprayed on ammonia can be dangerous, so make sure you run fans and have great ventilation if you're going to use bleach.

Best bet would be to empty out all bedding, scrape off as much poop as possible and give it a good airing out.

Got any pics of coop, inside and out?

Oh yikes! How do I treat for those mites? I am planning to scrub scrub scrub with dawn and vinegar, rinse super well, let dry, then spray bleach and let dry. What step can I add to kill possible mites??? Yuck

'
I had pictures but I think I deleted them by accident

Yeah i would use bleach as it will kill most disease's if not all also you could get diatomaceous earth for mites.

I'd be leery of getting coop interior really wet like that....unless you've got LOTS of time and GREAT ventilation for it to dry completely before installing new birds.
Even then, depending on coop construction and materials, it might not be a good idea. That's why I asked for pics.
Most folks don't clean their coops like they clean their kitchens and bathrooms, it's just not practical or realistic.
Moisture promotes growth of all kinds of organisms that can be detrimental to poultry health,
and it's hard to truly dry out all the cracks and crevices of an outbuilding once they are saturated.

Scrape and vacuum as much as possible. Some kind of permethrin spray in all cracks and crevices for possible mites.

DE will not kill a mite, or any other insect parasite, infestation.

I'd be leery of getting coop interior really wet like that....unless you've got LOTS of time and GREAT ventilation for it to dry completely before installing new birds.
Even then, depending on coop construction and materials, it might not be a good idea. That's why I asked for pics.
Most folks don't clean their coops like they clean their kitchens and bathrooms, it's just not practical or realistic.
Moisture promotes growth of all kinds of organisms that can be detrimental to poultry health,
and it's hard to truly dry out all the cracks and crevices of an outbuilding once they are saturated.

Scrape and vacuum as much as possible. Some kind of permethrin spray in all cracks and crevices for possible mites.

Oh goodness! Ok. I'm sort of a germaphobe, so I tend to go overboard. I will look for some permethrin spray. How long after that is spread should I wait to put bedding and chicks in there? Just until it is dry? Thank you so much for all of your help and insight. I will post pictures when we go to do our walk through on the 28th :)

I used cheap vodka with orange and lavender oil. Once dried I painted the whole thing inside and out. I cant recommend it since I barely know what doing but it is an idea.

I like these suggestions and also agree about the moisture as well as permethrine, I am unsure what the active ingredient is in the Ortho home defense max, but it has always worked extremely well for me.

Back
Top Bottom