1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Cleaning your waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by justduckie, Sep 29, 2008.

1. justduckie

justduckie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    Does any one use bleach when you clean your waterer? I've started doing that because I'd get poop in the water.....I have a big 5 gallon plastic one and no matter where I put it and how high I put it, there always seems to be poop in the tray! I think I have some one perching on top of it. [​IMG] I'm hoping this will help keep any kind of sickness from spreading.

They don't do it to my two 5 gallon feeders. [​IMG] But those are suspended on chains from the ceiling.

Also, if you use the big 5 gallon plastic waterer with the red bottom tray, do you have problems keeping the bottom of the inside clean? It seems like there is a ledge there that keeps the bottom tray on but it catches stuff! I finally just got a sponge and stretched my hand down into it and finally scrubbed the bottom......cleaner, but not as clean as I would like. But I scrub every time I re-fill and put a little bleach in and swish then rinse. THEN fill. It seems to work and they haven't gotten sick from it. But I wish I could reach the bottom better.

2. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Whenever I dump it and refill it I just use a brush and run a quick scrub around it. I figure they run around in their own poop all day....

3. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    I wash mine with Dawn dish soap and a clean rag...I figure it cleans my dishes it should be fine to clean out the chickens dishes.

Besides they eat bugs off of the ground without washing them dont they?

4. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    I scrub mine out when I change the water and everytime I add new water I add a little applecider vinegar and don't have the problem of the dirty bottom any more. I only need to scrub it once a month now. We do have a couple that perch on it.

Monica

5. mamarosa

mamarosa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    I use the apple cider vinegar and it helps alot as long as you rinse the container with each fill

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have a large 3 gallon plastic waterer, and then I also use Fortex bowls. I clean them out with bleach, and let them sit a while.

7. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Hi -

I have a 3.5 and a 2 gallon plastic water.

The 2 gallon water is hanging from a chain. The 3.5 gallon water is set on a cinder block in a flat spot on run floor. I still have a bit of dirt in the red part of the tray, but since mind are high enough, the birds are not pooping it the trays.

I use a deluded bleach/water combo in a spray bottle. When I clean the waters, I spray all the parts and rinse well. I do not put any bleach in the water or anything else. I just clean the waters every 2-3 days.

I would suggest putting your 5 gallon water on a cinder block or some how get it out of the poop range of the birds. You may still get some trash, but maybe not so much poop.

Good Luck.

8. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I use Oxine (chlorine dioxide) to clean my waterers; they rarely get really gross, as I clean them pretty often, but I use a scrub brush or wash cloth if needed.

I have paving stones in my watering area to eliminate the mud problem, and I just stacked an extra paver under the waterer to elevate it and keep little dirty feet out (generally).

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I use vinegar. Kills just as many germs as bleach, breaks up hard water deposits, and is completely nontoxic. The chick waterers I rotate just about daily letting one soak with vinegar overnight. The big waterers I wipe between refills and every couple weeks to month leave them to soak for a day.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I hung my 3.5 gal. waterer on a chain with an S-hook. I keep it so that it is at the same height as the top of their backs and never have any poop in it. Once in awhile I scrub it out with dish soap. Most dish soaps are antibacterial. I brush it out everytime I fill it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by