Cleanup quail crew.

GD91

Songster
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
UK
I'm thinking about adding some of my coturnix jumbo's to the rabbits sheds since they scurry around & eat dropped food. Of course they will still be getting enough quail feed to keep them healthy, but has anyone ever tried this?

Both the chickens & quail eat the rabbit food given the chance, the chickens do try hard to get at it
roll.png
& go mad if they do, I'm guessing because of the vegetative content. After all, they also eat grass, clover & my lettuces if given the chance!
We have low hutches for the quail to hide under & they will be being provided with their usual equipment. I'd much rather open the shed to scurrying quail, than mice.

By the way our small garden is very closed off to the outside world, so no diseases here. We keep chickens, rabbits & quail all close to each other. Never had any problems because I run a strict rule of home hatched birds only. If its not in an egg, it doesn't get in.
We don't have any wild birds either, the chickens scared them all off
lol.png
& we don't attract them.

Also we have a 6ft x 5ft Rabbit run that converted to house quail. We added strong wire to the bottom to stop predators digging in.

How many quail can I house comfortably in here?

Currently we have four.... 2 boys, one girl & one unknown quail who's golden. They are all on the grass in this run & have been for 6 weeks. They have a box shelter which is about 50cm length x 35cm width I specially designed to protect from drafts & damp with a small opening in the corner on the long side so they can get in & out. It is made from wood & has a tarp covering it for addition protection.

Last edited:
You can fit as many as 30 in a 6x5 space but I'd stay in the mid 20s so it doesn't look like a packed house aesthetically. I'm not sure if you are keeping them with the rabbits as well just be sure the quail aren't terrorizing the rabbits, coturnix can be quite hostile at times.

No, they are not kept with the rabbits. Currently they are in the run outside on grass.

The rabbits are in hutches in one of the sheds. I'm talking about putting quail on the floor in the shed (with the rabbits in the hutches) to clean up any spilt feed.

Back
Top Bottom