Clear roof for light? Yay or nay

chickie22

Chirping
Mar 1, 2018
New York
We are making a 4'x4' coop. We weren't planning on making any windows except for cutting a vent on the tallest wall (slanted roof, so one wall is taller). For the roof we were thinking to use clear roofing to let light in. Good idea, or not?

Agreed with OGM. Why no windows? IMO, windows are absolutely essential. Imagine a house with no windows. It would be the most depressing, dreary unhospitable place I could ever imagine being. You live in snow country. Your birds will be spending most of their time in that coop in the winter. That's a good recipe for cabin fever aggression.

As for ventilation, you need more than one vent. The ventilation should be at more than one level, should be = to 10% of floor space or 1 s.f./bird. A window provides the perfect opportunity for natural lighting AND good ventilation. I would be concerned about clear poly on the roof of such a small coop. IMO, it would be the perfect recipe for the coop turning into an oven in the summer. How tall will your coop be? It's hard to have adequate ventilation in a coop that is both small AND short.

Agreed with OGM. Why no windows? IMO, windows are absolutely essential. Imagine a house with no windows. It would be the most depressing, dreary unhospitable place I could ever imagine being. You live in snow country. Your birds will be spending most of their time in that coop in the winter. That's a good recipe for cabin fever aggression.

As for ventilation, you need more than one vent. The ventilation should be at more than one level, should be = to 10% of floor space or 1 s.f./bird. A window provides the perfect opportunity for natural lighting AND good ventilation. I would be concerned about clear poly on the roof of such a small coop. IMO, it would be the perfect recipe for the coop turning into an oven in the summer. How tall will your coop be? It's hard to have adequate ventilation in a coop that is both small AND short.

I agree. One vent isn't enough. Four vents probably aren't enough either, unless the walls are really low and the vents large. Ventilation is far more important than lighting.

I'm glad you feel the same way we can build hot box over
I had a 4x4 coop for hospital use.

Way to small for a full time coop.

Poly roof is asking for it to be an oven in summer.
I only know it would be an oven for spring through fall in my area. I guess NY state isn't much different. Regardless we apprecciate you trusting us with your construction plans and allowing our input.

I am really only posting on this thread because I found it interesting to read.

It is interesting how we all have different ways of keeping our chickens.

We are in Far North Australia [tropical zone] and we do not have windows on our coop. We have large, hardware cloth covered ventilation gaps between the top of the coop walls and the roof which is dark, polycarbonate, suntuf sheeting and is much cooler than other materials available.

We have an elevated coop with slatted timber floor for added circulation.

Having no windows keeps the sun out and with the ventilation, actually helps to keep the coop cooler but our girls only use the coop for sleeping and laying and spend the majority of their time in the polycarbonate covered run.

We have designed the roof in such a way that we can add or remove a layer of shade cloth underneath the polycarbonate to decrease or increase the amount of light if required.

Again, this was more just out of 'sharing' what we have and things to consider are:
Our girls do not have to spend long periods of time in the coop due to weather.
We have a low predator risk.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom