1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clearing out old bad bales of hay... and found snake

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by silkiechicken, Dec 28, 2007.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Found this little cutie today when I was spreading out old hay from last year. It was under the bottom most of the stack, which was about 4 bales high. It's tiny and sure looks like it's pretty fresh into the world. I disturbed it from it's winter snooze spot and so brought it in as I didn't want it to get stepped on or accidentally chopped when moving and scraping the ground where it wanted to sleep. I plan on taking it back out tomorrow after I clean up the hay area a bit and letting it slip under the good hay bale stack where it can snooze safely for the rest of winter. There are no slugs or worms out so I don't have the food it needs to stay in all winter. It's just a little garter snake so they are good for bugs and such in the garden. The big ones can get rid of small mice which is nice. I've seen worms bigger than this snake!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Isnt he cute? Ive really changed my attitude about snakes, I used to scream and kill them (and usually kill the shovel too, as I was so panicked). Then I got edumacated, and realize not only are they having a hard time in this world, but they do good things. Fortunately Ive not seen any in my little corner of paradise that are poisonous, tho my tree trimmers did kill a pretty sizey coral snake along my back fence line. Good for you for saving that little (and I mean LITTLE) guy.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Beautiful, perfect little being. Thank you for caring for and about it.
    JJ

4. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    Beautiful images, and good save!

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    So special of you to save the little tacker! Cute little snake, and great pics - thanks for sharing! Bless you!

6. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Cute little snake! I've had garters and they make good "pets". They are best left in the wild, though. I wouldn't think of finding a snake in the winter-- the only thing I find in the hay is dead chickens! [​IMG]

7. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Awwww! What a cutie! We have a bunch of those around our house. They love to curl up in the pool covers for the winter, so every time we unroll the solar cover there's usually either a snake or a recently-shed skin in there. They are great for keeping the cricket, mouse and shrew population under control.

8. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    awww what a cutie I used to have one as a pet I miss the little fellow but DH is NOT a snake person. The second pic really shows how small he is !!!

Julie

9. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    Aww he is cute. The only snakes we find around here are rattle snakes and we find about 4 or 5 every year. DH catches them and releases them in the desert.

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    What a cute little guy. New reptiles are always so shiny, they look fake.

I like snakes too, but once, a big garter was upset with me for picking him up and pooped on me. Boy did that stink. I can't say I ever want to pick up a garter again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by