Climate Suitable Breeds

nbhines96

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 14, 2015
Hi all.... I am new to the forum. My wife and I are planning to start raising chickens in a few months and are wanting to choose appropriate winter hardy breeds for our climate....Fargo ND.
Anyone know which breeds hold up best in Zone 4?
Thanks

My first thought, if you can find some, is Chanteclers. They were bred for Canadian winters and are hardy. Aside from them any rose/pea combed breed may be good for you. Wyandottes, Dorkings or even Easter Eggers if you are interested in just eggs.

Alaska Backyard Chickens recommends Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Australorps, Cochins, Langshans, and Wyandottes for their brutal winters. If they can take Alaska's winter temperatures, they can take North Dakotas winter temperatures as well. If egg laying rate is priority, the Australorps are the best layers on this list and the Cochins are the worst layers (although they are the best brooders and mothers). You can find ABCs recommendations along with information on these breeds at http://akchickens.org/getting-started/recommended-breeds/. I've had all of these breeds at one time or another over the past 50 years (still have Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps) and can attest to their ability to handle cold winter temperatures. I once raised Australorps where winter temperatures dropped to 30 F below zero, and with a well ventilated, dry, and draft free coop, they did just fine. Feathers are wonderful insulators, and moisture is a much greater enemy than cold. Whatever breed you end up getting, good luck with your flock.

Thanks, this is very helpful.
The winters here can be just as bad as Alaska's. I know that sounds surprising to some, but outside of the coldest areas of northern Alaska, the winters here can be equally brutal. -30 f is not uncommon, and the windchill can often reach beyond -50.
Great feedback here. I appreciate all the help!

Thanks, this is very helpful.
The winters here can be just as bad as Alaska's. I know that sounds surprising to some, but outside of the coldest areas of northern Alaska, the winters here can be equally brutal. -30 f is not uncommon, and the windchill can often reach beyond -50.
Great feedback here. I appreciate all the help!

You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom