Clipping the wings to prevent flight

Hamletchick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Northwest Oregon coast range
I trimmed one wing of each chicken and it seems like they can still get to elevated areas in the coop. Did I trim them enough? how much will they fly if properly trimmed? I just did not want to make them bleed. I have heard that can be deadly.

Quote:
Some can still get over with one wing clipped...... My OEG flock have to have both wings clipped...... If I only do one I find them in Albuquerque the next day..... I got tired of the drive..................
lau.gif

Regarding their ability to get high in the coop: They are getting to cross beam near ceiling in coop but they have several ways to hop and flap from one level to the next to get there. Each level is about 2-3 feet from the other.
hmm.png
I guess my post is general for both of you. Thanks for the quick replies and info nice to meet both of you!
smile.png

Mine can still fly/hop to 5 ft. but it takes a good effort. I've had a few who persisted in escaping the yard.....those I gave the "prison cut". Both wings clipped, primaries and secondaries. This usually works. If you just clip the primaries of both wings, they can still get balance and some loft.

Back
Top Bottom