Clipping wings

Khaybear

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2018
yesterday my Rouen (I think). Female took flight over the fence I gave her in. Even with chicken wire covering it. I want to clip her wings but have read mixed reviews of doing so. I just don’t want her to get out again because it wasn’t fun getting her back in.

Attachments

• 77B308C6-22A5-43CF-A5C2-22BCF2ACA3C5.jpeg
    77B308C6-22A5-43CF-A5C2-22BCF2ACA3C5.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 5
yesterday my Rouen (I think). Female took flight over the fence I gave her in. Even with chicken wire covering it. I want to clip her wings but have read mixed reviews of doing so. I just don’t want her to get out again because it wasn’t fun getting her back in.
Picture is of them pre feathers still

If you plan on trimming wings just do one, so if she try’s to fly out again she will go off balance and not make it over the fence. Also check before just in case their are blood feathers as you don’t want to trim them, as the duck could bleed to death and you will have to pluck the feather out.

Personally I keep my ducks with their wings unless they are new birds I’ve brought in that can fly, they will be flightless for at least a year before I don’t trim their wings. I will also trim wings if birds that tend to fly out of their pen and go into the ducks, I’m talking about the drakes that are pains and try to hang out with the girls.

If you plan on trimming wings just do one, so if she try’s to fly out again she will go off balance and not make it over the fence. Also check before just in case their are blood feathers as you don’t want to trim them, as the duck could bleed to death and you will have to pluck the feather out.

Personally I keep my ducks with their wings unless they are new birds I’ve brought in that can fly, they will be flightless for at least a year before I don’t trim their wings. I will also trim wings if birds that tend to fly out of their pen and go into the ducks, I’m talking about the drakes that are pains and try to hang out with the girls.

Makes me nervous but I was trying to put bedding in their area to prepare for winter and she freaked out and got out through a small crack where I don’t have chicken wire. They have been super skid dish since we got hit with hurricane Florence.

Just clip one wing! i clipped both of my chickens wings and they learned to fly with both clipped. Clipping one makes them unbalanced!

Back
Top Bottom