Cloaca exam for egg binding - END DIAGNOSIS EGG YOLK PERITONITIS

Update (for learning purposes)....Lynne is still alive. She has lost weight. I can't get food into her, but she seems happy to get the fluids (both the water with duramycin and the corid). She has refused yogurt and mealworms. I'm just not up for the tube feeding. She's a 3-4 year old production red who is probably worn out, and I don't want to upset her further.

So, I will continue keeping her in her quiet place in the guest room, giving her fluids every couple of hours and trying to get food in with a dropper. She did poop a little yesterday. Once (down my side) was just water. The other (in the crate) was small but pretty solid, kind of a gray color.

When I open up the crate to get her out, she opens her eyes and looks around, but otherwise she just sits on the blanket looking very sad.

Any advice welcome ... nothing too stressful or invasive please.

A sick hen doesn't move around very much. I keep my hospital cases in a blanket lined laundry basket with Scott towels or puppy pads under them. They don't go anywhere, gives them a chance to look around, and much easier to feed them, (avoiding the lap spills you mention).

I think you're doing all you can at this stage. Warmth care companionship meds fluids -- that's pretty much it. The only other healing thing in the mix is time. Be patient, don't give up, she might rally. If she doesn't rally then you've done all you could and she had a peaceful protected death.

FYI, without the proper amount of fluids and food she is going to die from dehydration and starvation, period. Tubing takes a few minutes three times a day, whch is way less stressful than what you're doing now. Let me be direct.... Her only chance is tube feeding, but once they get too thin, they don't normally recover. To each their own, but letting her die this way because you you think tubing is "invasive" or "stressful" is cruel in my eyes. If you want to say you tried *everything* possible, you need to tube. I am available by phone to guide you through the process and I guarantee you that once you do it you'll wish you had tried earlier.

-Kathy

Disclaimer: I'm not saying tubing will save her, often it won't, but it is what needs to be done.

She is not dehydrated. I've been giving her water several times a day, with antibiotic and some baby food mixed in.

But she isn't going to make it. I'm finding someone to help me euthanize her today.

She is not dehydrated. I've been giving her water several times a day, with antibiotic and some baby food mixed in.

But she isn't going to make it. I'm finding someone to help me euthanize her today.
Sorry you lost her, but unless you were giving her ~200ml of water each day I'd be willing to bet that she was. There is just no way to safely syringe enough water to her. Honestly, though, I doubt anything could have saved her.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom