Lyndssxo08

Songster
5 Years
May 3, 2018
Purcellville, VA
My Coop
My Coop
okay so where do I even start? :hmm

Not last Friday, but the friday before I came home to find my 8 month old hen named Sarah with a prolapsed vent. After dealing with a vet and getting her stitched up the following Monday, she prolapsed before we even got home from the vet, so we had to take her back Tuesday morning to get stitched up again (poor Sarah). Anyways - we kept an eye on her and have had her in the house the entire time to give her a bath at least twice daily, trying my best to get pedialyte, ACV, mashed up feed, yogurt, calcium powder, and probiotics in her. We then cut her stitches out last Saturday late morning just in case she was egg bound - but she wasn't. Luckily she hasn't prolapsed again :fl. This whole time she has had white watery discharge on the outside of her vent that I feel like I'm constantly cleaning up, but vet says it's probably from the antibiotics and shots he has given her. She still seems to be taking it easy and sleeping most of the day away, and she is barely eating or drinking. She will take a drink every now in then. While I'm home I make sure to get a few drops of pedialtye in her every hour or so to make sure she keeps hydrated.

Anywhoooooo

When I went to bathe her Monday night I noticed her vent still seemed swollen and when I went to put neosporin on it like I do every night it puffed out and I saw that there was this yellowish greenish clump right inside. Obviously I had to investigate further at that point so I laid her down on her side and took a few q-tips and soaked them in some oil to lubricate and started trying to lodge the clump loose. After working around for a few minutes I was able to get a quarter sized hard clump out of her with some tweezers and a few smaller clumps. The next day I tried the same thing and go another decent sized hard clump out of her. (I'll post the pictures right after this post). I bathed her right after to try and soothe her bum, because I'm sure it didn't feel too well when I was pulling it out. Even last night I did the same routine and it just seems like she's super clogged up. I'm not sure what these clumps are that I'm pulling out, but it seems like whatever this is, it's happening every day and clogging the poor girl up which may be why she's not wanting to eat that much. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what do you recommend? I have a camera on her throughout the day to keep an eye on her while I'm at work, and she only gets up to move around a few times and mostly sleeps the rest of the time. Thanks for the help in advance everyone - Sarah means a lot to me, so I'm willing to try whatever I can to help.

AFA58765-D2C7-4FD1-9D89-2CB3C7A02137.jpeg
927C3E60-667E-4F85-98F0-DEA70C28D803.jpeg
31F61E56-4D3F-4244-9D59-4C58264D0921.jpeg
Here are the pics I have

So many questions come to my mind!

1. Is this is a continuing reproductive issue? ...Meaning the original problem isn’t resolved.

2. Is that internal laying going on resulting in lash egg material?

Or...

3. Maybe her body is trying to expel residual matter that’s been in her oviduct which triggered the prolapse to begin with ?

4. Does the antibiotic need to be renewed?

5. Is it vent gleet cause by the antibiotic?

Since you’re already working with a Dvm, I’d call them back and see if you can send them the pictures.

So many questions come to my mind!

1. Is this is a continuing reproductive issue? ...Meaning the original problem isn’t resolved.

2. Is that internal laying going on resulting in lash egg material?

Or...

3. Maybe her body is trying to expel residual matter that’s been in her oviduct which triggered the prolapse to begin with ?

4. Does the antibiotic need to be renewed?

5. Is it vent gleet cause by the antibiotic?

Since you’re already working with a Dvm, I’d call them back and see if you can send them the pictures.

Hi! - So the first egg that I am aware of that she laid was back when I found her with the prolapse - a few minutes after bringing her in and giving her a bath I put her in a crate and she laid a shell-less egg. (Vet said that ay have caused the prolapse because she was struggling to get it out. We have another shot to give her tonight of the antibiotic so she has been on that the full 2 weeks. He said she would have loose stool while on it, so 100% that could be the cause of that.

Back
Top Bottom