Clops: The Blind Cleft Lid Chick (Updates, Advice, and Discussion Thread)

Pics
To me this looks similar to the cleft pallet only it’s affecting the eye lid. The eyelid has that opening almost like someone cut it in the middle. It’s just a deformity that happened during development. I know in ducks, if there is a spike in incubation temp in the first 6 days, and can prevent the eyes from even developing. I have two ducks that had this. I think it’s a freak thing but as long as it can continue to blink and close it’s eyes as it grows, it can adapt. My blind ducks adapted.

To me this looks similar to the cleft pallet only it’s affecting the eye lid. The eyelid has that opening almost like someone cut it in the middle. It’s just a deformity that happened during development. I know in ducks, if there is a spike in incubation temp in the first 6 days, and can prevent the eyes from even developing. I have two ducks that had this. I think it’s a freak thing but as long as it can continue to blink and close it’s eyes as it grows, it can adapt. My blind ducks adapted.
There was no spike in the temperature or in the humidity. I monitor it closely and use 2 thermometers and a hygrometer.

Thank you for sharing your experience with your ducks because it seems like you are the only one that's had experience with this. Maybe some more have seen this, but maybe we are the only two.

I'm closely monitoring it and will be home every day this week.

Is her inner eyelid working?
Can she close the outer lids?
Blind in just one eye?
Tho I wouldn't have kept her, I am fascinated to see how this will progress.
Best of cLuck!

Last edited:
There was no spike in the temperature or in the humidity. I monitor it closely and use 2 thermometers and a hygrometer.

Thank you for sharing your experience with your ducks because it seems like you are the only one that's had experience with this. Maybe some more have seen this, but maybe we are the only two.

I'm closely monitoring it and will be home every day this week.
How's the chick this morning

Is her inner eyelid working?
Can she close the outer lids?
Blind in just one eye?
Tho I wouldn't have kept her, I am fascinated to see how this will progress.
Best of cLuck!
Her outer lids close, I'm not sure about the inner ones. She's blind in just one eye, it's clouded over and white when you shine light at it.

I will keep a photo album of her too on here of her growth. Her comb also doesn't look like it's going to be a single comb. I'm going to look at her more today now that she is settled in.

Back
Top Bottom