Close call!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sjisty, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Today I heard the chickens going crazy. I went outside and there was a young pit bull in the middle of them! I caught him and put him in an extra dog run that we have. He was really a sweet guy and I don't think he would have hurt the chickens, but of course they ran and he chased. No one was injured, but I thought my poor Petunia was going to have a heart attack (me, too)!

Anyway, I kept him in the run for a couple of hours and then took him to Animal Control. I have no idea who owns him, and he (the dog) is lucky he was so sweet, or he would be underground right now. He was very well behaved in the car and quite a sweet guy, about 40-ish pounds and very young. If I didn't already have two dogs, I would have considered keeping him. Hopefully the folks at Animal Control will find him a home far, far away from my chickens.

Why can't people keep their dogs secure?????

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    We go through this alot here ! Thank goodness the fences are sured and I locked them up at night. Neighbors just let their dogs go out in the country !. Our animal control officer says they have been picking up a lot of pitbulls , people dumped them of the roads! one time we found 4 pitbull puppies.(alive) so sad !!!! Thats why they need to be spayed or neuter.

3. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    im kinda on the other end...meaning, whenever my dog gets loose, she'll run and run untill she gets tired and then she'll come back. i hate when it happens and she's probably not the most well liked dog on the block, but at least shes small and couldnt hurt anything even if she tried(she never has though...shes kinda a scaredy cat, or should i say dog...)sorry had to put that in there. but lately ive been training her and shes been coming back when i call her.

4. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    My dog would go crazy in the months after we moved out to the country-- if I would leave to go to the store she would open the gate and look for me-- we had finished the perimeter fence (all 2 acres, not sure everyone could afford to do that) and had to put chains on the gates, she hasnt got out since and I am glad she stayed out of trouble the 3 times she got out (last time the sheriff picked her up, and bless her heart if she didnt jump right into the car, she wanted to go home)...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by