Close the window up in winter??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Alicat4244, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Alicat4244

Alicat4244 Songster

Jun 22, 2017
    Tennessee
    So this is my coop .... see that window ... other than the little door my chickens come out which you can't see in the photo that's the only opening . Before next summer we are going to add another window for more ventilation . So my question is with winter coming should we cover that window up??? 20160927_104554.jpg

Loona likes this.
  2. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Nice coop!! You could make a winter window cover that lets the light in, such as acrylic plastic, and put some small ventilation openings elsewhere.

Loona and Alicat4244 like this.
  3. Alicat4244

Alicat4244 Songster

Jun 22, 2017
    Tennessee
    Thanks SueT that's a good suggestion. Last winter they did fine but I was also new to this and honestly didn't even think about it . They roost to the right of the door so it just got me thinking with nights getting cooler might need to do some tweeking to the coop.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi. :frow

How is your winter weather? If the window can stay open without making a draft blow across them... ventilation is just as important in winter. In fact in freezing places ventilation is VERY important to avoid frost bite. If the air inside is cold but dry, no problem. If it get's humid from them breathing and such and it's freezing... then moisture in the air freezes on combs and waddles creating the frost bite.

Looks like a cute and functional coop. Since there aren't openings on the other sides besides the pop door... I would probably leave it open.

5. RonP

RonP Crowing

Do a quick search on ventilation.
    Read up...

Not sure how many birds are housed in your pretty coop, but you should shoot for 1 square foot of draft free ventilation per bird.

Birds suffer greatly with moist humid cold air.

Alicat4244 and Ol Grey Mare like this.
  6. I would leave it open, maybe some sort of wind break on the inside if there is a draft on the roost.

Gary

aart and Ol Grey Mare like this.
  7. fightingbunny

fightingbunny Songster

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    What about cutting and putting in small vents at the top of the two walls, between the door and window at the eave? Then you could have ventilation and close the window too

Loona and Alicat4244 like this.
  8. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    Canton, Ohio
    I’m in NorthEast Ohio and I leave my 4 windows half open during winter except when it drops to 0 in January/Feb, then I closed them but one.

Alicat4244 likes this.
  9. Alicat4244

Alicat4244 Songster

Jun 22, 2017
    Tennessee
    I'm in Tennessee.... So not too bad but we still get some freezing temps at night

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Would you add your location to your profile, it really helps ;)
    More pics inside and outside of coop would help.
    Is run covered?
    A window or vent in the coop wall under run roof would work good.
    Love the coop and door....wants to see more. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: