Close to lockdown temperature rising

7isheaven

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2011
I thought I had seen this mentioned it before, but now I can't find it. And I've misplaced my bator instructions, because I was carrying them around intending to read them when I got a second.
idunno.gif

Ok, tomorrow, ie. Sunday is lockdown.
celebrate.gif

Yesterday or so I noticed that the temp has gone up. It's been easily staying at 100* all this time, with only minor occasional adjustments. And then suddenly [Thursday or Friday] it seems to have jumped up to 102. I would turn it down and come back and it's still at 102. So I turn it down some more. I came home this afternoon and it was at 103!!!. Wait I just got up and it said 104 [and that's just after opening it to turn all the eggs, slightly adjusting the temp down!] I've now left the lid ajar to let it cool off.

Are the growing chicks producing all this extra heat? Why suddenly do I have this trouble?

blessings,

deborah

[It is 60* outside as well , but that's outside. . . . but I think it's been warm before w/o this trouble. In fact, I had the gas fireplace on in the same room when it was snowing outside- just so it wouldn't get a chill. So why would it matter now?]

Going back to check on temp . . .

Quote:
Well now I feel like an idiot. because after letting it cool down I added some hot water [because I realized it needed more water, why didn't I just use cool water??] and closed the lid. So of course, it was right back up. Took the lid off again, rechecked, now its 98, humidity 60. [I have a digital that reads both]. I will check again in 20 minutes or so. . .

I hope haven't killed them all!
hit.gif

deborah

your not alone , I have done that too. The other day my oldest daughter added hot water and the probe end wire fell into the warm water it read higher and I had to check behind her to make sure every thing was where it was before I adjusted the temp.

Okay, approx. 20 minutes later and it's back up to 103. I've cracked it open AGAIN. I've adjusted the knob again. This is a styrofoam hova-bator. Why is it causing me so much trouble!??
barnie.gif

deborah
The humidity was 58 before I left it open.

I haven't ever used the hovorbator I am using the LG still air I know if its above 70 degrees in the house it will do that to me.

How long have you had it?

Quote:
I've had it about 19 days, lol. It is a 'rental.' A local farmer/homeschooler rents the bators w/ eggs to homeschoolers that want to try it. We are doing it for our science fair project. It has not given me any trouble, even on days when it snowed and I put on the fireplace or, I don't think, warmer days when we aired out the house. Today seems like a normal day- no open windows- no fireplace. That's why I wondered if it was being caused by developing chicks being close to hatching. We do on lockdown tomorrow night, day 21 is Wednesday.

I think I got smart and took out 1 of the vents, it's NOW at 101* and 64%. I adjusted the knob down just a tad more. Will continue to keep an eye on it.
A few hours too hot won't kill 'em this late will it??
fl.gif

blessings,

deborah
http://homeisthemagicingredient.blogspot.com/

Quote:
I've had it about 19 days, lol. It is a 'rental.' A local farmer/homeschooler rents the bators w/ eggs to homeschoolers that want to try it. We are doing it for our science fair project. It has not given me any trouble, even on days when it snowed and I put on the fireplace or, I don't think, warmer days when we aired out the house. Today seems like a normal day- no open windows- no fireplace. That's why I wondered if it was being caused by developing chicks being close to hatching. We do on lockdown tomorrow night, day 21 is Wednesday.

I think I got smart and took out 1 of the vents, it's NOW at 101* and 64%. I adjusted the knob down just a tad more. Will continue to keep an eye on it.
A few hours too hot won't kill 'em this late will it??
fl.gif

blessings,

deborah
http://homeisthemagicingredient.blogspot.com/

I am fairly new to this I have only hatched 4 batches so far any time temps changed for me mostly during the winter or dead in the summer fall and spring seem to work best for me. The reason I asked how old it was is cause some times the elements can go out. It could well be the chicks producing heat. Maybe someone who has been hatching longer can answer you better.

Yea at the end of the hatch I always take out the plugs for extra air flow. Keep us posted

ok, went out came home, bator is at 101*. Pulled out second vent plug and turned down crack a little more. . .
he.gif

deborah

Back
Top Bottom