closed eye/ peeling skin?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bridget399, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    My Silkie roo, who is just over a year old has a slightly puffy eye. When I gently cleaned it with a damp wash cloth, it opened and looked good. It didn't open the whole way, but the eye was nice and clear, no puss or cloudiness.

About 20 minutes later, it was bubbling, a clear fluid (not puss). I wiped this away and the skin peeled of around the eye, like a sun burn. It didn't bleed, but gently came off as I wiped it away. It peeled back to the waddle.

He's been crowing, eating and drinking. Also acting normally. No raspiness, and no weird stool.

I don't know what to make of this and what to do about it???

Sorry about the horrible pics, I asked Santa for a new camera!
    [​IMG]

P.S. I am new to chickens, I've never been through molting with my flock. I apologize if this is all it is (but will be greatly relieved)! Do you think he could shed his skin and block his tear duct?

2. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Sounds & looks like your boy has MG, Mycoplasma gallisepticum. Tylan (from Jeffers) or Tylosin tartate (cheaper version, same product, in a powder form at Tractor Supply for example) is what he needs. It treats respiratory issues and MG. Mix it with water and give that to him as his only water source for 10 days. Remove him from anyone else in your flock. If you neglect to treat this, it can manifest into something more sinister and spread. I say MG because one of the keys to MG is the bubbling that comes from the corner of the eye, and there are often times secondary infections that are a result of MG. It may not have actually been his skin that peeled but that clear, sticky fluid that emanates from the eye and coats the skin. Is his feathers around his shoulder on that bad side matted? They often times reach around to wipe their eye on the shoulder, leaving that crusty fluid on the shoulder.

3. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    Thanks High Roost! I am going to try to treat him with Tetracycline for 10 days, as my TSC only suppies that and penacylin(sp). I am not totally sure if that was a crust that I peeled and not skin, but I really hope it wasn't skin. He will also be going in the garage for 10 days, and we're cleaning out the coop.

4. Lady Ressler

Lady Ressler Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    North Dakota
    I had a chicken do this too. Only the pealing skin went into her feathers behind her comb and below her wattles. It almost looked like the cradle cap that new babies get on their scalp. I have had Mycoplasma before about 3 years ago and eliminated my whole flock. The symptoms were very different, more rattled breathing and clear eye discharge.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by