Clostridium perfringens?? Help with dosage please

Usually, with a Clostridium infection, hens are feeling so sick, they stop laying. If eggs happen to be laid, there's very little chance the contents of the egg will be contaminated, but you should wash the eggs (shells) thoroughly before you use them, and wash your hands thoroughly after handling your chickens and collecting the eggs, a practice that's advisable in any case.

There shouldn’t be any botulism. Do you mean salmonella? Salmonella is only a problem if eggs are not cooked properly. Wash your eggs and hands if you think that could be a problem. While you are using the Tylan, toss the eggs, and there is only a 1 day egg withdrawal after completing oral Tylan. No egg withdrawal with Corid.

So it has been three weeks since I started the safeguard and corid, then did tylan and corid. The hens (17) have never acted sick since this whole thing started 2 months ago. I have not had ONE egg - from 17 hens! - since I did the safeguard. Does anyone find this unusual? Will they ever start laying again? And how do hens NOT lay - for 3 weeks!??

Unless you live south of the equator where it's spring, it's not unusual for hens to quit laying in the fall north of the equator where the days have less than the required number of daylight hours to trigger laying hormones.

I have had a lot of chickens over the last 5 years and I have never had them stop laying altogether. Especially since I have a light come on at 530every morning to keep them at 12-14 hours of daylaight

A lot of things can disrupt laying, stress of any kind can do it, any illness can do it. I don't see ages of the birds or your location. Molt is also a possibility, which would stop them laying. Illness or stress can also trigger molt. I would just work on getting them healthy as possible and give them some time.

A lot of things can disrupt laying, stress of any kind can do it, any illness can do it. I don't see ages of the birds or your location. Molt is also a possibility, which would stop them laying. Illness or stress can also trigger molt. I would just work on getting them healthy as possible and give them some time.
Thanks for that. I am really stressed myself (!!) over this whole thing. They HAVE been sick. And they ARE molting AGAIN for the second time in 3 months! Everything seemed to come at once. I’m feeding them Purina Organic Layer Crumbles and in the afternoon I’m giving them several handfuls of Black oil sunflower for more protein. They have a huge pasture to free range in - so I guess I just be patient and wait... thanks again

You may want to consider a flock raiser or grower feed with a higher protein content. 18-20%, which may help them with molt. I feed this way all the time and just have oyster shell/egg shell mix available in separate feeders all the time for those that need the calcium, they will take what they need. I've found mine do better on this.

Back
Top Bottom