• Put all the facts 1-21 on separate page

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Put all the facts 1-21 on this page

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pics
DAY 64 CLUCKMAZING FACT~
"On the Island of Kauai in Hawaii live thousands of feral chickens — once-domesticated birds that have reverted to a wild state — that provide a unique look into how domestic animals and their genes respond to the natural environment. Recent research shows that these birds are hybrids of the red junglefowl-like chickens that Polynesians brought to Hawaii and the more modern domesticated chickens introduced to Hawaii by European and U.S. settlers. It's thought that hurricanes that hit the island in 1982 and 1992 released chickens from people's backyards and into the forests, where they met and bred with the remnants of the Polynesian junglefowl's (Kauai lacks imported predators like mongooses, which wiped out the ancient birds from the other Hawaiian Islands)."

Thanks to @SueT for info on this fact!
In the Netherlands there is a small forest where chickens live. Most of them roos and cockerels. People who bought or hatched chicks often dont want to kill the surplus. Especially not cockerels, but cant keep them because of the noise or the fighting in the coop/run. So the population got bigger and bigger.
People in the neighbourhood feed them in winter. Im not sure if this still continues. I read about it 2 years ago cause people where complaining. And they urged the local government to end it.

DAY 69 CLUCKMAZING FACT~Mother hens teach their chicks not to eat grains that could be bad from them, where to find food, and how to forage. Chickens also copy each other’s behaviors, as chicken keepers well know, if you can get one chicken to do something you want, they will all follow suit.
Yes! I hope my pullets teach my hens how to drink from a nipple!!! It will make snow days so much easier for me!

DAY 73 CLUCKMAZING FACT~ Many hens make a big ol’ racket every day when they announce to the world that they are indeed going inside to lay an egg. Some people call this “the egg song” and the whole flock joins in the chorus, even if they aren’t laying an egg at that moment. It’s really quite beautiful!

DAY 73 CLUCKMAZING FACT~ Many hens make a big ol’ racket every day when they announce to the world that they are indeed going inside to lay an egg. Some people call this “the egg song” and the whole flock joins in the chorus, even if they aren’t laying an egg at that moment. It’s really quite beautiful!
Dear Chiggins. What happened to day 70, 71 and 72?

The chickens eat more in winter than in summer to keep warm. Because they eat more they also poop more in winter.
I'm not sure this is true, along with many other 'facts' presented in this thread. Fun though.
In theory at least, although I've not read a study on this, hens in particular will eat more when they are laying eggs. Given the wintertime is when a hen not laying her nutritional demands may be less.

Back
Top Bottom