Clutch found

QueenOfMyCoop

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
I found a clutch outside with my hen laying on it. I'm not sure what to do because I put the chickens in the coop at night so she can't lay on them... do I move them inside the coop?? Its getting chilly at night..

'Chilly' isn't really a problem. Accessibility of predators to the setting hen is a problem. Can you protect the nest site from predators ? Moving the hen is an option, but frequently fails as most hens imprint on the nest site rather than on the eggs.

You need to separate the hen and her babies from the rest of the flock. Put her and the babies in a large dog crate with plenty of clean shavings, chick food (mama doesn’t need layer feed, chick food is fine) and fresh water that is in a container the chicks can reach but won’t drown in. All you need to do is provide shelter, food and water. Mama will keep them warm underneath her. I would suggest putting them in a a shed or garage. In a week or so, you should move them all outside together but still separated from the rest so your big chickens don’t pick on the little ones and eat all the chick food. Mama will do all the rest.

'Chilly' isn't really a problem. Accessibility of predators to the setting hen is a problem. Can you protect the nest site from predators ? Moving the hen is an option, but frequently fails as most hens imprint on the nest site rather than on the eggs.
I respect what you said, but in my experience my broodys don’t care about being moved as long as they have their chicks with them.

Highly doubt she could put broody with chicks in coop at night without the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom