Status
Not open for further replies.
........one thing I noted in the photos........there is snow......we haven't had that deep of snow this year.
:hmm

I believe there are 2 sides to the story and the truth lay somewhere in between.

Being that we have been unusually warm rodents are unfortunately very active still.

I myself am battling mice.

This whole thing makes me sad.
If the birds health and wellbeing are a concern then the humane society can check on them and act if action is needed or educate if it's not to bad.
They are after all the resource we have and ARE educated enough to properly assess the situation.

This something to think about. What is the average lifespan of hens used for egg production? When you take into account average, you have some that last longer or shorter. It appears the flock was started with a single cohort of chickens. Most people on this site and certainly folks trying to feed a family (that is what is being simulated) would loose or "retire" hens as their egg production falters. In my setting and with many others, there is a new cohort of pullets adding each year with older and under-performing hens culled.

Reflect on that when assessing the reported turnover rate.

Most people on this site and certainly folks trying to feed a family (that is what is being simulated) would loose or "retire" hens as their egg production falters. In my setting and with many others, there is a new cohort of pullets adding each year with older and under-performing hens culled.
That's a good point, except that in this situation, simulated being the key word. Reality being that nobody is feeding a family with these chickens, and visitors would have no way to know which hens were laying and which weren't, so no need to cull a hen simply for not laying. If reproductive issues crop up, as older hens are prone too, then that is certainly some thing to cull for, as treatment can be expensive and likely to recur, even if treatment is successful initially.

That's a good point, except that in this situation, simulated being the key word. Reality being that nobody is feeding a family with these chickens, and visitors would have no way to know which hens were laying and which weren't, so no need to cull a hen simply for not laying. If reproductive issues crop up, as older hens are prone too, then that is certainly some thing to cull for, as treatment can be expensive and likely to recur, even if treatment is successful initially.
Most people would be replacing losses on an annual basis. People for some time have been able to assess by feel which hens are in lay. It is not going to be the visitors doing the culling. Even in a simulation, I would not want to keep hens that are coming out of lay. A bigger issue is how old are the hens as that would really be important if culling no longer employed to remove non-productive hens? I could see this being an old flock of pet birds that being kept until they pass from health issues that can occur regardless of conditions they are housed under. The flock manager is the person needed to get that information.

Most people do not keep individuals with health issues, they culled quickly to cut losses.

Last edited:
Dear BackyardChickens.com Community Members,

One of your participants brought this thread to my attention. I am so glad there is a community like this for people to share ideas and suggestions on how to improve their chicken keeping practices. I appreciate the interest and concern for the welfare of our much-loved birds at the Golden History Park. I thought it might be helpful if I gave some background about our chicken husbandry program and offer a different view of the situation.

Golden History Park is a three-acre park located in downtown Golden, Colorado. The park recreates a 19th century mountain homestead and features historic structures from a nearby ranch. The chicken coop and barn are more than a century old and its flock of heirloom hens are beloved local celebrities. The chicken husbandry program began when the park opened in 1999. The program aims to teach visitors about the importance of farm animals to the livelihoods of Colorado’s pioneers. The program has run continuously for twenty years through the love and dedication of more than a dozen volunteers who open and close the coop daily, feed and water the birds, and tend to the flock’s well being.

In addition to daily monitoring by our trained volunteers, the chickens’ health is regularly evaluated by a local avian veterinarian. The birds were most recently examined by the vet on December 20, 2018. The vet’s evaluation showed that our birds are very calm, healthy, and in a great living situation. As a part of their examination, the vet handled the chickens to evaluate their crop, keel, and feet. She found the chickens well fed and that their feet showed no signs of bumble foot or other infection. Per our partnership, the vet will reevaluate the flock again in late spring/early summer and continue on a bi-annual basis as normal.

It is frustratingly true that we are combating a pretty significant rodent infestation this winter. Like all of you, we contend with vermin on a daily basis. However, being in a public park setting and along the waterway, our challenges are amplified. We also believe that the rat issue is being exacerbated by the extra food that is thrown into the chicken yard. Staff and volunteers have implemented an aggressive eradication plan and are seeing success, but the challenge requires continuous monitoring.

The coop and its feathered residents are a huge attraction to thousands of families who visit each year. It’s a big undertaking to maintain the program and to train and retain volunteers that help manage it. For the well being of the flock and the sustainability of the program, it’s important that we have clear and strict management policies and procedures—all of which are shared with the volunteers prior to their tenure at our organization. Our policies and procedures are regularly evaluated and continue to follow veterinary recommended chicken husbandry. Those who express unwillingness to comply with and uphold the museum’s policies are ineligible to participate as a volunteer with our program.

I hope you will visit GoldenHistory.org for more information and stop by for a visit when you are in Golden. Attached are a few photos of our coop that I took this morning.

Sincerely,
Nathan Richie
Director

View attachment 1631644 View attachment 1631645 View attachment 1631646 View attachment 1631647 View attachment 1631648 View attachment 1631649 View attachment 1631650 View attachment 1631651

The Park looks Nice! Love the historical buildings and coop!

Really, a nice thing to have available. Previously, I posted about how we lived in a larger city with an interactive farm park including chickens - lots of good memories with young children! More recently, we joined a zoo in a large city closer to where we now live, and they have a small interactive farm area, including chicken coop - guests young and old always stop to watch for a bit every time we've gone past.

Hopefully, eradicating the rats proves successful!

........one thing I noted in the photos........there is snow......we haven't had that deep of snow this year.
:hmm

Nov. 11, 2018.png

I am telling the truth. Please look at the picture that's posted on the Golden Museum & Park's Facebook page that week, and the date.

View attachment 1632212

I am telling the truth. Please look at the picture that's posted on the Golden Museum & Park's Facebook page that week, and the date.

I missed your pics of the set up and concerns.

I should have been clearer in my post. I was questioning the date the facility took the pics that they posted.

I don't doubt that you are concerned for the birds.

I do still suggest that if you are concerned that the humane society is who needs contacted. They have the authority to check into the facilities, feed, vet care and more regarding the birds. They also have legal authority to educate the caretakers or remove animals if things are really bad.

It would be a shame for them to lose the educational opportunities that having the birds there allow.

Personally I am rooting for the facility.

I missed your pics of the set up and concerns.

I should have been clearer in my post. I was questioning the date the facility took the pics that they posted.

I don't doubt that you are concerned for the birds.

I do still suggest that if you are concerned that the humane society is who needs contacted. They have the authority to check into the facilities, feed, vet care and more regarding the birds. They also have legal authority to educate the caretakers or remove animals if things are really bad.

It would be a shame for them to lose the educational opportunities that having the birds there allow.

Personally I am rooting for the facility.
Oh MY!!! Thank You!!!!!:bow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom